Recommended Alarm Callouts, email capable, but not PC based.

mbrockley

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions that could help me out. I have a client looking for a callout/alarm notification with a few stipulations that have me blindly searching products

They are looking for email notifications only, but do not want the system to be based on a PC for fear their windows based platform may freeze up. This eliminates most software applications I can think of like Win911.

I recommended Protalk products such as a CV3 to them but they are hoping to go WITHOUT the cellular data contract and connect directly with an SMTP email server over ethernet.

PLC is an SLC 5/03 for reference.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Does this system have (or need) an HMI?
If no, then perhaps use this:
http://www.redlion.net/product/dspgt-protocol-converterdata-loggerweb-server-virtual-hmi-vga#

It includes virtual HMI capability, but if you do need or would like to add an HMI to the system, use a G3 or Graphite HMI and have all the features of the DSP plus a touchscreen.

These are probably overkill if all you need is email, but the Red Lion gear is very capable and proven in my experience. It is definitely going to be more reliable than any windows based system.

Looks like a good option OkiePC. I'm waiting on return call for prices.
They do have an old RSView HMI already, and depending on prices this may indeed be overkill, but this may fit perfectly with another project we are just getting into.

Thanks

I thought that the idea was to get away from a windows operation system.
If that is true then you just eliminated about 99% of all devices out there.
Even AB Panel views are running windows CE
I would bet that the Redlion DSPGT is running windows CE, I know the programming software is an app of net studio. You will be hard pressed to get completely away from windows.
Your best option if you really want to get away from windows then have somebody right a custom app in for linux.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions that could help me out. I have a client looking for a callout/alarm notification with a few stipulations that have me blindly searching products

They are looking for email notifications only, but do not want the system to be based on a PC for fear their windows based platform may freeze up. This eliminates most software applications I can think of like Win911.

I recommended Protalk products such as a CV3 to them but they are hoping to go WITHOUT the cellular data contract and connect directly with an SMTP email server over ethernet.

PLC is an SLC 5/03 for reference.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

those fears are really unfounded. anything can freeze up. we run win911 for many months at a time between restarts and I cant remember one time windows or win911 locking up. even if it does, it is easy to monitor services and whatnot to make sure it is up.

the SEL RTAC can send email, there is an application guide that describes how to program it, but you are programming it yourself.

There is an SMTP block in unity so I assume many schneider PLCs can send e-mail.

Blasphemy. It boots too fast and runs too well to have any sort of MacroshaftWare on it.

:)

Nice one OkiePC!

mbrockley, sounds like your customer has FUD.
Maybe Redlion would good for you. From Old Redlion Crimson2 Manual.

"With the low-cost of single board computers, many HMI suppliers have opted to develop their products on what amounts to a panel-mounted PC. These units run either Windows CE or full-blown NT/2000/XP as their operating system. To provide machine visualization and control, some sort of HMI or SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) software is required, and is commonly provided by the hardware supplier.

Other HMI manufacturers, including Red Lion Controls, have opted to provide the simplicity and reliability of a dedicated operating system. This removes the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) that many customers still have in regard to Windows’ reliability in the industrial environment. However, unlike other HMIs with dedicated OSs, Red Lion has succeeded in providing a reliable platform with power and value approaching that of a PC based HMI."