Recommended HW for robust Linux+IO

JorgeusMax

Hello all,

I have a client that needs to externally control some valves at a small plant, nothing fancy. (for which I just need digital IO).

What I need is a robust alternative to a raspberry pi, that can run a linux OS and also have some IO available.

Can rou recommend any device that is more robust than a raspberry? I also have to install 4G comms so in order to avoid buying a 4G router it would be amazing if the device integrated 4G comms. So it would be something like:

IO + linux (on intel desirably) + 4G.

Are there any options that you are aware of?

PD: Linux on intel preferably to ARM.

Thanks!

Thanks guys! it looks promising, the problem is that there is no stock! the compact version looks as what I need but I don't find it available anywhere. (there is actually one place selling it for ver 500 euro which is nuts).

I think that it will be difficult to find a device with integrated I/O that fits your other requirements.
I/O comes in endless variations. Because of that it makes a lot of sense to separate CPU and I/O.
Even of you would find the unicorn device that has everything, in the long run it will be a straightjacket that limits you to that specific device and specific I/O.

Thanks! These devices are way too pricy for the task in hand.
I am starting to rethink the architecture. My client basically needs to remotely control some valves with their phone.
1) In order to avoid creating an app + API I think a simple web page is the way.
2) The web page should be hosted by the client so that is why I thought of an embedded linux. Is there any recommended low cost PLC based solution that provides web server?

PD: I guess I could also host the web page my self in the cloud and let the client's DDNS router point to it. Then I would just need to install a basic plc.

So, the actual real requirements are:
1. Accessible remotely via 4G.
2. Must be able to control a few I/O.
3. Must be low cost.

I think that what you need is an RTU. But these are actually more expensive than PLCs.

So, the actual real requirements are:
1. Accessible remotely via 4G.
2. Must be able to control a few I/O.
3. Must be low cost.

I think that what you need is an RTU. But these are actually more expensive than PLCs.

Exactly,

I have worked with S7-1200 and afik the web server is quite limited to be honest.

I am being tempted to just install a Raspberry pi 4. The problem is that in my experience, at least with older versions, is that they have to be rebooted from time to time.