Recommended Installation Order

just_lionel

Hi All,

I was wondering is there a recommended installation order for the Rockwell Software Suite? (RSLinx, RSLogix, View, FT, etc). We have a new laptop that we are just about to install the software on and was wondering what would be the best way to install all needed software.

I know the software can be picky at times. Just wanted to see what the best way everyone has found out to be.

Thanks

I have had so much trouble installing the software on my last project I purchased a laptop and software from the Rockwell rep insisting that they install and test it.
Even then it took about a week to get rid of all the bugs.
A tip, if you are using RSView studio, DONT!! delete the canned samples or the software will crash.

General rule of thumb is to insert the disc and follow the required steps in the order presented. The installer will determine if you are missing required components.

I usually begin with RSLinx Classic then RSLinx Enterprise. Without those, nothing else matters.

activation tip

When installling the activation we had a lot of trouble losing the activation and then haveing it come back later. The problem was related to when you install you have a choice as to which hardware device on the PC it is referenced too. I had it up to see the network card rather than the hard dirve and when I was not on line or had the network connection disabled is when it wouldn't see the hardware and not register the activation as valid. The tech support told me that this was more critiacal with laptos as they shut off the connection to conserve power and that can cause proplems. One reason for shutting disabling the network connection was that the cpr 9 versin can get slowed down by the network. That may also be affected by speed of your internet provider.

I second most of the comments here.
Check all the FAQ's.
Really, though, seasoned professional through total rookie, your best bet is to have the rep. that sold the stuff to you come over and install it. That way, he can show you just how easy it all is. [irony flag=OFF]

We've installed them plenty of times. I was just wondering what different ways people have installed it here and was there a suggested way of doing a 'clean install'.

We've all been through the headaches that is for sure!

I have had so much trouble installing the software on my last project I purchased a laptop and software from the Rockwell rep insisting that they install and test it.
Even then it took about a week to get rid of all the bugs.
A tip, if you are using RSView studio, DONT!! delete the canned samples or the software will crash.

This was fixed in version 5.0, you can delete them safely :D

On the topic: I follow no specific order and have no problems. I have installed RSLogix5000 v10->v17, RSLogix 500, RSView ME and SE, RSNetWorx for ControlNet/Ethernet/Devicenet, RSLogix Emulate 5000, and RSLinx Classic and Enterprise.

Last edited:
We have found that if you want to use RSView32 and RSView Studio, you must install RSView32 first. RSView Studio will not function properly otherwise.

Greg

I haven't had any problems installing the software, but my installations have never included RSView. I also like to start with a fresh image of Windows XP Pro. I try never to install on the OEM versions that come with the machines. Too much "bloatware" included.

My order of install is: RSLinx Classic, RSLogix 5000 v10-v17, RSLogix 5000 Emulate, RSNetworks (all 3)

At one time I thought I saw a recommended order from Rockwell, but I haven't been able to find it lately.