Recording a HMI Demo screen on your laptop

Rob S.

Good Afternoon,

Many times I will quickly brainstorm an idea on FactoryTalk View , and would like to email it a coworkers , instead of creating a runtime.

Is there a way you can just record your screen , like a screenshot , but this would
be a quick video .

Thanks . Just wondering .

I like FastStone Capture. It's not free, but its ease of use is worth the nominal cost.

Camtasia Studio is the gold standard for screencap videos that you're going to edit and narrate.

Windows 10 has Xbox Gamebar that can capture your desktop. It is a little funky if you have a dual screen setup as it will only record your primary display. But once you know that, it works like a charm.

If you are using Microsoft Teams, it can also record a meeting. Just start a meeting (Meet Now) and tell it to record. No one else needs to join. Then share your desktop. Works great too.

OG

To record my screen, I use a program called Ice Cream Screen Recorder. It has had the right balance of simple and useful for me. The free version has a 5 minute video length limit, a watermark and a weird video format. I run the video through handbrake when I'm done.

I find that sometimes, it's easier to record myself doing something rather than trying to explain it in text.

OG, I didn't know about that XBox feature; neat !

Our company is strongly on Teams now and I may make use of that feature. Now, if only I could get my shared OneNote documents to not be in French, I'd be set.

I use VLC Media Player, it has a screen record. Lot better than Windows Media Player and doesn't send data to MicroSoft about every movie and video it plays and link it is pointed to.

It does love to record the main monitor only, but with a little trouble it will record elsewhere.

Hey Ken, yeah we are all in on Teams too. We just started with Office 365 a couple months before COVID so it has become a valuable tool. Our Notes stuff tends to be in "Texan" so it takes some translating too :ROFLMAO:

I tell my coworkers to use Teams or Xbox to record. Soemone just yesterday had some issues with Xbox but he got Teams to work pretty easily. I personally use Camtasia Studio 2019. Of course, that one isn't free like the others. But I use that for recording and video editing. I do a lot of video works so that does the trick for me.

Have to look at VLC. Only use it for playback. That software is just crammed with features.

OG

p.s. watch out for Murder Hornets!

Yep, I recommended OBS for a while until I started using Teams and Xbox. OBS does a good job and it is free. I really like their very fast .mkv to .mp4 conversion.

The reason I really like Teams/Xbox options is that I don't have to install anything (already have Teams).

OG