Red Lion (crimson 2) modbus simulator?

scubacy

Hi All,

First time poster and not familiar with modbus or red lion HMI but I was wondering if anyone can suggest a modbus simulator that will "talk" to the crimson 2 HMI interface?
I'm currently trying to simulate scaling on the display with modsim32 and crimson 2 but no luck using any of the ports (or TCP) I am using this on a virtual PC machine with virtual ports turned on.

I know I can plug a value into the simulate text box in red lion but it still doesnt not show the linear scaling.

I have had some luck using DaqFactory's free modbus tool to write to the Redlion Crimson Emulator. It is here: www.azeotech.com.

It's not perfect, as in the read and writes use different byte ordering: if you want to read registers, you need to use one type. If you want to write, I have had to use a different one. But it sounds as if that may work for you if you only want to write to the Crimson Emulator from a TCP server to see some things happen.

I found the emulator to be flaky though, but when it works it is pretty useful. Also most drivers I try on the emulator don't work, though Modbus does. Some devices don't play well with the serial port Modbus emulator driver, though the same issues do not exist with the regular hardware. It is rock solid. My recommendation is to use the real hardware if you have it.

Scubacy,

To try the scaling I always first set up an Interger Variable and name it Raw_AI. This will be my simulated input. On the Format tab of that Tag set up the Min Value to be 0 and the Max value to be 32768, or 15 bit resolution.

Then I create a Integer Formula tag and name it Scaled_AI_mA. Then on the Data tab for the Tag, I set the Tag Value to be the tag called Raw_AI.

In the Scaling & Transforms section, I chose the pull-down and select Linear Scaling. In the Store As: fields I enter 0 and To: 32768, which is what the Raw_AI will be.
Then in the Display As: fields I enter 400 and To: 2000. This will eventually get to be 4.00mA to 20.00mA in the next step.

Go to the Format Tab for that Scaled_AI_mA tag and put 2 Digits before the DP and 2 Digits after the DP:

Add a suffix of mA and that should do it.

Then add these fields to the screen and give it a shot. Or you can view my example file:

Joe_WaZoo