Red Lion DSP & Multiple Ethernet Networks / Port Forwarding

Joe_WaZoo

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I need a little help on this one. I have a customer that has a Red Lion DataStation DSPGT product that is talking to multiple PLC's on the IP network 140.80.0.xxx. The DSPGT has an IP address of 140.80.0.102. This DSPGT is talking fine to all of the PLC's that are on that same network of 140.80.0.xxx.

The customer has an e-mail server that is on his PC office network which consists of IP addresses 10.135.248.xxx. The e-mail server is at 10.135.248.24, and uses Port 25 for E-mail.

Since the DSPGT currently only has one Ethernet comms port at the moment, I was thinking of using a Router to Port Forward ethernet comms from the DSPGT @ 140.80.0.102 to the PC network. I was trying to set up the Router to have an address of 10.135.248.44.

I am on the right track here of what I am trying to do or completely going down the wrong route? My customer's IT guy has not been much help on this project.

Please advise me on your thoughts if you could.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Yes, right track. If you set the router IP as the default gateway on the Redlion then it should work. No need to port forward... probably.

How are the data and office nets interconnected? Are you providing the router?

No, I am not providing the Router. The customer has purchased one from Staples, a Netgear WGR614V10 model for $34.99. No one from Staples has helped him. But it was Easy for Staples to take his money. Damn Easy Button!

I will try to set the Default Gateway on the DSPGT to that of the Router's IP address. I may take some screen shots of the configuration tomorrow as we are set to do a GoToMeeting to see how the customer has this configured.

I am not aware of how the two different networks are connected. But one thing that is strange is that I had him connect the DSPGT to one of the ports on the Router, and then another Ethernet cable from the Office network was connected to a port on the Router and somehow the DSPGT was able to see and talk with the PLC's, even though theoretically that should not have been the case. These two networks are supposed to be completely separate, so how could the DSPGT see the PLC's? I have asked the customer to research that but again the IT guy has not been much help.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Would be interested to know the outcome of this Joe, shame the datastation hasn't the ethernet option card like the G3's.