Red Lion G3 Compact Flash Issue

Clay B.

Lifetime Supporting Member
Had an odd issue happen to me at one of my customers sites.

Setup: S7-200 PLC talking to a G306 Touch Screen. A Mettler Toledo IND131 talking to the same G306 and a printer.

The customer wanted an end of shift printout thru the printer. This required a data log so I installed a compact flash card and started on the data log. While getting everything to work I was hot swapping the card and the G3 locked up. I installed another card I had in my bag and it locked up as well. All 3 cards will not read either in the G3 and I can not read them with a PC. Red Lion sent me a new G3 and I bought new cards. Everything works fine now. Iam just wondering if anyone else has come across this. I generally just you the compact flash when I need to store recipies so this was my first at bat with data logging. All in all it works great. I suppect I swapped the card while the G3 was downloading to it and that is when it went south.

Anyway, if anybody else has seen this please let me know.

While getting everything to work I was hot swapping the card and the G3 locked up.

From page 8 of the G306 datasheet: "Note: Do not remove or insert the CompactFlash card while power is applied."

I usually install the Compactflash card permanently, then use the FTP function to transfer files to another storage device.

Last edited: