Red Lion G3 - Crimson questions

rdrast

Lifetime Supporting Member
Okay, I've been reading good things about the Red Lion G3 HMI's, and even downloaded the software to play with some.

This is part of an exploration about moving completely away from AB PanelView Plus terminals, to, well, anything else.

Question #1, and this is a deal breaker - Using Ethernet IP, can the G3 Terminals read down through elements of UDT tags in Logix 5k Processors? As in (typical stucture):
"My_UDT.My_Filt_Data.Act_Val_Filtered"
?
Not being able to read program scoped tags is not a deal breaker, but not being able to read UDT elements is.

Question #2 - How do these units hold up in bad environments, if mounted properly in a sealed box?
I'm not talking chemicals here, but very high humidity, occasional water spray (not washdown). How about Direct Sunlight?

Question #3 - For the platform, I'm guessing that now I'd be targetting the Crimson 3.x? rather then the older version?

Thanks in advance

Okay, I've been reading good things about the Red Lion G3 HMI's, and even downloaded the software to play with some.

This is part of an exploration about moving completely away from AB PanelView Plus terminals, to, well, anything else.

Question #1, and this is a deal breaker - Using Ethernet IP, can the G3 Terminals read down through elements of UDT tags in Logix 5k Processors? As in (typical stucture):
"My_UDT.My_Filt_Data.Act_Val_Filtered"
?
Not being able to read program scoped tags is not a deal breaker, but not being able to read UDT elements is.

Question #2 - How do these units hold up in bad environments, if mounted properly in a sealed box?
I'm not talking chemicals here, but very high humidity, occasional water spray (not washdown). How about Direct Sunlight?

Question #3 - For the platform, I'm guessing that now I'd be targetting the Crimson 3.x? rather then the older version?

Thanks in advance

1. It can read program scoped tags, and I have played a little with UDT and I think it will do what you want. Dan from Redlion will be able to help you here.

2. They are rated IP66 NEMA 4x and I have had good success with them. I don't think that they would even notice an occasional water spray. They have a specific model designed for outdoors that has a brighter backlight.

3. As good as Crimson 2.0 is, Crimson 3.0 is that much better. I think you will be pleased.

1 & 3. If you use Crimson 3, then you will be able to access the program scoped tags, Crimson 2 is limited to only Controller tags, but C3 can access both. We can access UDTs and AOIs.

2. Like Jim mentioned, they are NEMA4x, so as long as they are installed with their panel gaskets (included in the box) and you torque the nuts down to spec, there should not be an issue, as long as the high humidity is outside of our enclosure. They don't do so great in DIRECT sun, but a high contrast display along with a hood will yield decent results.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks... I've been toying around with the software, and reading through the manuals, but have yet to see where/how I can actually create a tag referencing a UDT element...

I haven't tried the L5K import yet, I was more looking for a way just to create one in the editor, is that there?

Thanks... I've been toying around with the software, and reading through the manuals, but have yet to see where/how I can actually create a tag referencing a UDT element...

I haven't tried the L5K import yet, I was more looking for a way just to create one in the editor, is that there?

I use L5K import - what driver are you using?

There is a (legacy) driver that allows you to enter the tag names from the editor, however it cannot handle UDTs, AOIs, or Program Tags. The L5K import is best, as the protocol that we use includes the tag name in the tranmission, so if there is a misspelling in the tag name, you will have communication troubles.

Regards,
Dan