Red Lion G3 - More questions

After posting this, Mike said that he believes that this will now work, after a fix he wrote yesterday. I am waiting for a new build to be done, at which point I will test and post my results.

Regards,
Dan

Mike sent me a new build last night that does allow the emulator to use the EIP stack. I was able to communicate to my ControlLogix using the L5K driver this morning.

Regards
Dan

Here it is if anyone wants it...

http://www.crimson3.com/redlion/r2/redlion/c3b220.exe

NOTE: Although it's a release candidate, it has not been through enough testing get for it to be a formally supported and published build. Only use it if you really need access to one or more of the features that it includes, and even then, just use it for development and not for read-world deployment.

Added access to array elements from web pages.
Added alarm info for OnHelp in alarm viewer.
Added behavior to GotoPage to hide popups on null goto.
Added event viewer primitive coloring per event type.
Added FTP client performance improvements.
Added updated the English version of the manual.
Fixed comms extent update on tag duplication.
Fixed compressed textured bitmaps on 8bpp units.
Fixed occasional crash from sorting all items in navigation list.
Fixed occasional crash on import of databases with data entry validation.
Fixed occasional crash with old buttons with custom actions.
Fixed Ethernet/IP operation in emulator.
Fixed incorrect DecToText padding behavior.
Fixed occasional hang on error search.
Fixed probem with alarm viewer priority colors corrected.
Fixed problem when setting entry mode set via menu.
Fixed problem with dial gauge and read-only tags.
Fixed problem with mapping blocks not tracking renamed tags.
Fixed time zone system variables.
Fixed various data manipulation functions in Widgets.
Fixed various floating point functions in Emulator.

Hi Mike,
Any idea of when the import dialog for the tags import from Micrologix will be ready?

Thank you,
Elcan

Yep, it's mapped. ...

The emulator also locks up on "Update" at "Stopping Runtime Software". Kill that, try again, and I get "Checking Device Model" then fail. The next update will actually download, then back to ping/SYN, but no data shows.

Perhaps, as usual, I'll need to get the actual hardware to try it out, but I'm getting low on time. I'll check with our distributors to see if they have any loaners.

I did get emulator to work on my desktop through a hub, two switches, fiber converters, router to a Digi One IAP Haz configured to talk to a 5/03 serial port.

I am also having the emulator lock up frequently and may have found that it was caused by a font problem. After deleting the emulator memory files and removing an oddball AutoCad font from the font manager, I didn't have any problems on the last two attempts before I left. When the emulator would fail, the taskbar icon would pop up briefly then disappear sometimes, and other times it would stay and show corrupted database just like a real G3 would do.

I had to use a different driver to get it to work:
DF1 Master v 1.02
I never could get the Allen-Bradley DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP to work.

And I am using the latest build...271 IIRC

In case anyone else has this issue...

Last edited:
I can't get the emulator to work either. Using Crimson build 484.000 with driver "Allen-Bradley Native Tags via L5K file". In Link options I have "send to emulator" checked, and the emulator is pointing to my Ethernet card. Connection is fine because RSLogix5000 is talking fine with the L35E on the same PC, and the FTalk runtime also works fine.

When I hit Send or Update it first says "A driver must be installed to function correctly. Do you wish to install it now." When I click OK is says "The setup program could not be executed." and then another window pops up with Caption "Download Database" that says Status-- Error - Unable to initialize emulator.

Thanks Jeff, you nailed it. As soon as I installed it on my XP VM, all the errors went away and it runs now. Only problem is, I don't seem to be communicating. The emulation is running but the tags are not updating.

I think even running a XP inside a 64 you will have problems with the drivers being written for a 32 bit system.

Side note. Have you had any problems with other communication drivers. Siemens, omron, AB, etc.?

I think even running a XP inside a 64 you will have problems with the drivers being written for a 32 bit system.

Side note. Have you had any problems with other communication drivers. Siemens, omron, AB, etc.?

Using 64 bit and so far no comm issues with AB Micro, Compact, or Control Logix. No issues with S7-200 or S7-300 either. Have not tried Omron yet ( no current projects for Omron.

I will say this I have upgraded all of my software in the last 6 months. Prior to this I was using an XP VM on my windows 7 machine.

Hi Jeff, I have yet to find anything that won't operate in my XP VM yet. This is includeds RSLogix5000, Kepserver, FTalk, Step 7, WinCC, Cognex Software, Jokab Software, RedLion Software (outside of the Emulator), Unitronics Software, etc. And tons more really. I wouldn't think the driver would even know that it wasn't running on a 32 bit machine. at least that is what I thought the whole point of the VM was.