Red Lion G310 with a bar code scanner

Randy Turner

I currently have a Red Lion G310 HMI and have a Unitech bar code scanner hooked to it through the USB host port B on the HMI. It works fine when touching a data entry cell to bring up the on screen keypad, then scanning a bar code into it. It populates the string tag with the correct data, and closes the data entry keypad on the screen. My issue is, I want to be able to scan product codes to a tag, and log them. This would require the tag to "always be live" to read the USB port when the operator scans the bar code with the trigger on the scanner. I don't want the operator to have to touch a data entry cell on the screen everytime, before scanning the code. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Randy

I don't think so. Currently the only thing you can do is keep opening the data input. I suggest you use a serial scanner and run a program in the background. It will make things a lot easier for you.

I was afraid of that. I saw where there were "port" functions that would allow me to monitor data coming in, but it appeared those were for the RS232/485 ports only.
Thanks for responding.
Randy