Red Lion Screen manipulation

Good Afternoon Everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with manipulating screens on a Red Lion HMI. I have a bit that I turn on via a key switch as an input to the PLC and that allows certain buttons to become visible on the HMI. So then the person will gain access to the setup screens and such as that. Let's say that I am on the setup screen and I turn the key switch off, how do I make it go back to the main screen so the "hidden" screen will not be left open? I know how to do it on an AB HMI but I am not real familiar with the Red Lion HMIs.

My general practice has been to let everyone see everything but only secured users with the proper rights can make changes. I do this at the tag level on the security tab. Since there is no direct way to tie a keyswitch to the security of the user, my standard practice cannot work for you.

To do what you want and completely ignore the built in Crimson security, you could just take the tag assigned to the locked position and use a Trigger "Active On" and in the Action field put GotoPage("Main") or whatever name you have given to the page you want to navigate to.

You will also need to use that tag to control the visibility of objects that need to be hidden.

If you were to opt to use the built in security and secure certain pages, objects, or tags, you could use the keyswitch tag to trigger UserLogOn and UserLogOff actions. The advantage to doing this, is you can apply security to tags that need protection so that even if you make a mistake and expose a secured tag to a screen that isn't protected, the system still won't let the user make changes to that tag unless they log in first (or operate the keyswitch in your case).

I don't know if your idea is to show/hide buttons or having those buttons on a pop-up screen.
In either case, you can use the HMI tag associated with the PLC tag that is tied to the key switch.

For screen objects (for example, buttons), just use the tag to show or hide the object ("Show" tab, "Visible" property). You could also use a rectangle (or any other shape) covering the buttons, and you can show or hide the rectangle, so you only need to use show/hide one object (the rectangle).

For a pop-up screen, you can use the trigger property of the tag ("Triggers" tab), so when the tag turns to ON ("Trigger One", "Active On"), you show the pop-up screen ("ShowPopup()"), and when the tag turns to OFF ("Trigger Two", "Active Off"), you hide the pop-up screen ("HidePopup()").

Last edited:
So if one of the "hidden" screens is displayed and the key switch is turned off, you want to go back to the main screen? Here is one way:

Go to the Page Properties for the hidden screen and look for the "On Tick" action. Change it to Complex Code and put the following:
if (!KeySwitch) then GotoPage(Main);

replacing the tag and page names with the correct ones of course. You would have to repeat this for any pages with "hidden" status.