Redlion Data Station Plus Conversion

martin1

Hi all,

I am looking for someone that as some knowledge setting up a Redlion Data Station plus.

I am looking to read a number of registers from a AB Controllogix PLC and forward the registers to a Unitronics PLC via Modbus TCP/IP.
At the minute the PLC is connected to a scada computer running RSview via a Ethernet hub.

What I'm wanting to know is:
1) Will the redlion convert Ethernet/IP to modbus TCP/IP so that I can read the registers on the Unitronics PLC?

2) Will communications work if I connect the redlion, controllogix & Unitronics plc to the Ethernet hub and assisgn different IP address for each unit?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction!!

Yes and yes.

Tell us about the addresses you need to link together and we can help you set up "gateway blocks" to make the data flow between the two plcs.

If you are interested, I can give you a free application that can run on your SCADA computer, read tags from the ControlLogix and transfer the values to Modbus registers. It will do what you want without having to add more hardware.

I seem to remember a sample PLC program that would let you write directly from the ladder code to a Modbus device, but I am not sure if it was for the ControlLogix series or the MicroLogix series. I am not able to find the web page with the sample program. If it is possible, this would be the ideal solution.

UPDATE: I did find some information on using Modbus directly in ladder code:

http://theautomationblog.com/which-controllogix-models-support-modbus/

The link to the ModbusTCP example is still valid and free to download the sample program.

Last edited:
Hey Archie,
Got your PM. Thanks for your input.
All the ports on the ControlLogix are used up. All I can use is ethernet.

Thats great OkiePC, I have roughly 20 floating point values that I need to read from the controlLogix and send to a Unitronics v570.
I have created a .L5k file to reference the tags.

Last edited:
If your Logix PLC has firmware v20 or higher and on the same Ethernet network as your other controller, I would try the Rockwell ModbusTCP Master solution first. With no "middle man" hardware, it will be the most reliable solution.