Redlion G315 and SQL databases

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I am looking at upgading a PC on a machine, and a requirment is to read data from an SQL database (query data into process setpoints) and log data back to an SQL historian database

I realise the Redlion has a CF card, can the unit store the SQL process setpoint data locally (lets say the process setpoints for all recipes are mapped from SQL to the CF every 12 hrs for example. The CF file can be CSV or any other format)

I have had a breif look at datasheets etc but they seem a bit vague on SQL connectivity

If this is possible then I would consider this unit as opposed to a Windows PC and Scada package

We do not have any direct SQL access capability. You have a few options though.

1. I believe there is an OPC plugin available for SQL that should allow you to read/write to the G3. If you use our built-in OPC server functionality, you will be looking at around $900 for our OPC server. However, you could set the G3 up as a Modbus TCP/IP slave and use any Modbus OPC server.

2. Depending on how frequently you need to update the data, you may be able to use FTP to transfer files to/from the CF card. This will more than likely require some C programming to read data out of the file(s).

3. Here is a thread (I am not trying to toot any horns with it, but he mentions SQL in the post): http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=49842&highlight=red+lion They wrote a custom piece of code on the PC side to send and receive ASCII data to/from a G3.

Regards,
Dan

Just to jump in here, I am very interested in learning more about how people want their HMIs to interact with SQL system. If you have the time, I'd appreciate some more details on this, either here, or via PM. Likewise, if anyone else has anything to add on this topic, their input will be taken very seriously.

Hi Mike
Typically I would like to create an OBDC source to a database (Access or SQL Server) and then run a scripted query to retreive data (in my case a list of setpoints).

I would also like to log points to a table that i can define. Typically this would be approx 100 points every second. I realise this frequency may be a tall order for what is actually a 'HMI'

Thanks for this. We're looking into ways in which it can be handled, and were rather excited about using SOAP straight into SQL Server, but that appears to be on the way out. Our current approaches are going to need a service running somewhere on a Windows box. Would that work?

Hi Mike
I would have no objection to running a 'red lion service' on the OBDC host PC that the HMI could interface to and use as a gateway to the database.

In the past I have run into people paranoid about losing production due to network breakdown so maybe a tool to parse the sql returned data into CSV or a workable format for storage on the CF card would be a useful thing to include, or maybe have 2 services, 1 to read the sql into actaul tags, and 1 to write to the CF

Cheers

FactorySQL can log your data to a SQL Server (or otherwise) database. 100 simultanious points/sec should be easy. This would work with the built in Red Lion OPC server that Dan mentioned. You can download a free trial to see if it works for you. All functionality is there, but you have to manually restart the groups every 2 hours.

Hi Surfer I am looking to move away from a PC platform due to IT /Micro$oft and hardware issues. I have had good experience with both SCADA and HMI units and have decided i would prefer a HMI unit ... these tend to be fit and forget wheras PC solutions need service packed every 3o seconds and i get out of hrs calls because some domb a$$ cant remember his password so locked out the machine from production

I download FactorySQL once but i remeber the interface was not intuitive (at least to me)but I am used to Cimplicy HMI/Win CC type packages plus 6 or so HMI vendors.

Having said that you are telling me that Factory PMI can sit on the SQL Server PC and send me data on request from a SQL query generated at the Red Lion box?

How much would a licence be (list is fine) to handle say 1000 points