Redlion Graphite HMI Comms To Prosoft PLX31-EIP-MBS

mark73165

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, can anyone help with what driver to use in Crimson to communicate Ethernet/IP to a Prosoft PLX31-EIP-MBS gateway. The gateway will pull data from a RS485 Modbus device.

I have used many Modbus TCPIP to Modbus RTU converters but first time using Ethernet/IP.

Thanks Mark

The Graphite can't act as an Ethernet/IP client, so I think you will need to use PCCC mode in the Prosoft module and set up the Graphite to treat it as a SLC.

I say that assuming that the HMI is the only device "talking" to the Prosoft gateway. If there is also a Logix5K CPU involved, please elaborate on the setup.

Yes, the G12 has 2 RS485 ports but the issue I have is we have 7 485 Modbus devices to communicate with and 2 of them can only be node 1 and if there is another device on the same daisy chain then the Node 1 devices will respond to other nodes. Tried to get the manufacturer to fix this for years but its not going to happen.

thanks for the comments

Any reason why you chose a Prosoft PLX31-EIP-MBS Ethernet IP device? It looks like an expensive choice and you are making things as hard as possible for yourself. Warning 'not an expert' :) Could you have used one of the RS232 serial ports and then an RS232/RS485 converter. The Graphite seem to be able to talk to most things via whatever port you have available. Or a Modbus TCP to Modbus RTU gateway makes sense, the Graphite can easily speak Modbus TCP. To test a system I had a Graphite talking Modbus TCP to a small Linux computer that was running a Modbus TCP to Modbus RTU program, that was talking Modbus RTU to an ABB VSD, despite my concerns it was easy and worked well.

The company who we purchased the panel from knew what we needed to accomplish but they made a mistake in choosing the type of gateway. We are now using the Moxa 8 port Mgate.

We normally use the Lantronix Xpress DR-IAP which is what most of our customers like.