Redlion Raw Port UDP

Some questions on raw port usage on a Redlion G3, specifically UDP.

I am trying to read arbitrary bytes from a UDP stream with Ethernet but I get unexpected results.

First of all, my custom message is 5 bytes long encapsulated in UDP. So when I think I need PortRead() for this to get a single byte, therefore, I need to run this five times.

1. What is OnUpdate - I put my comms() program name in here. Is this fired when there is data in the UDP receive buffer, or is it more like a PLC scan model where this runs every cycle?
2. If I constantly call my comms() routine with my PortRead() function, I expect to return a -1 every time if there is nothing in the buffer. If there is something in the buffer, then it should give me the byte of data that is there in the top of the queue. Can I assume that my data, and only my data are there, delivered as a group of 5 bytes? What if I send very fast, will it grow? What delimination exists between UDP message data from the various segments?
3. Some sleuthing around shows that the first byte returned form PortRead() is the number of bytes in the buffer. This is convenient, but unexpected because I could not find it documented. What is really happening under the hood here? I would like to see the first byte read to be number of bytes of data in buffer, then use a for() loop that many times. However, my first PortRead is constantly changing, then if it is equal to 5 I do my 5 other PortReads:

Code:
UDP1 := PortRead(4,0);

if ( UDP1 == 5 ) {

UDPHdr[0] := UDP1;	
	UDPHdr[1] :=  PortRead(4,0);
	UDPHdr[2] :=  PortRead(4,0);
	UDPHdr[3] :=  PortRead(4,0);	
	UDPHdr[4] :=  PortRead(4,0);
	UDPHdr[5] :=  PortRead(4,0);
	MBdataOut := UDPHdr[5];  //move some data to resend over modbus

//for ( i = 1; i <= UDP1; i++ ) {
	//	UDPHdr[i] := PortRead(4,0);
	//}	
}

This actually works - but shouldn't (well, not to my expectations, anyway, which must be incorrect). I think the for() loop commented out should work too - that is a more flexible solution, but it doesn't. Since the first PortRead() will return weird data routinely it throws the whole thing off. Notice here I need six PortReads() to get five bytes of data.

Can anyone enhance my understanding of the raw ports capability?

Here is the documentation in the manual, for reference:

PORTREAD(PORT, PERIOD)
DESCRIPTION
Attempts to read a character from the port indicated by port. The port must be configured to use a raw driver, such as the raw serial port driver, or either of the raw TCP/IP drivers. If no data is available within the indicated time period, a value of –1 will be returned. Setting period to zero will result in any queued data being returned, but will prevent Crimson from waiting for data to arrive if none is available.

Hello,

The OnUpdate will run which ever command that is called on every comms scan.

I would recommend using the PortInput command instead of Port Read. This will read an entire frame in at once.

Thanks
Jeremy

PortInput() doesn't work if there is 0x00 in the byte stream; it seems to ignore everything past that. At least that is what I see here, and since zero is a valid number in protocol, this doesn't work.

Can you elaborate on what is in the UDP buffer? Why isn't it just data? Or is it just data - when I view UDP1 (reference code) on a HMI screen, I can see the number vary greatly - I tried summing the number and I get like 600-800 everytime -

if ( UDP1 > 0 ) the { do some total calculations}

Some of the numbers I see are 192, 168, and some others. These standout as they should be in the IP header, but why do they end up in the buffer? The only way I can get anything reasonable out of the buffer is if I set the result of the first PortRead == # bytes I expect.

Below is a breif description of the input buffer.

Byte 1 = 'R';
Byte 2 = most significant octet of IP address
Byte 3 = next octet of IP address
Byte 4 = next octet of IP address
Byte 5 = least significant octet of IP address
Byte 6 = high byte of UDP port
Byte 7 = low byte of UDP port
Byte 8 = high byte of data length
Byte 9 = low byte of data length
Byte 10+ = data

I am also emailing you a sample program.

Thanks
Jeremy