Relay Logic panel from 1968...still going strong?

You did not say how many relays are in the panel
But they would last a long time a contactor I worked or had me design a system using only relays I don't know why but he was the boss we got to over 100 relays before his client pulled the plug on the project. I know who the client was but never talked to them.
As was said wright up a detailed report and email it to both your boss and his. And make sure you keep a dated copy if so when thigs hit the fan your covered
I wouldn't touch it until it beaks down if you touch on your own you own any problems the pop up later and your boss will blame you
post pictures, I for one would like to see it. I have worked on many large rely panels some built back in 20-30 pre WW2 they will run for many years

Unfortunately I have little time to do that as the lines are running & usually getting called to other issues around the plant.. the panel has 460 terminals right next to 120 along with cobwebs holding everything together (n) I would definitely want to lock out the panel before tracing anything.

They know what it costs to update it, and they don't want to spend the money. It works. They are making a gamble. They are gambling that this equipment isn't going to catastrophically fail before they can squeeze enough life out of it to get more than the difference between the cost to upgrade vs the cost to emergency upgrade or just replace. Who knows how many factors lead to that decision, or if it is the right one?

You have a couple choices. You can either just accept that fact and move on with your life, or, as has been suggested, you can start the process yourself by documenting what is there. You don't have time to document it? You ask for the time. If they don't follow through to give it to you, you just move on with life.

If you play your cards right here and thoughtfully argue that it would be beneficial to afford you xx amount of hours per week/day/month to work on documentation, you can still do it much cheaper than a contractor, you might end up getting to build a replacement as well, which is a cool project that you can document and use to demonstrate your capabilities to help further your career.

Have seen this many many times. I would recommend you very carefully perform a Point to Point "As Built" electrical schematic of the panel (during downtime).

Once you have all the circuits drawn out, you could write the program to replace with a Micro or Unitronics or whatever controller you use currently at the facility (spare parts).
Why not start from the ground up and work out what the machine needs to do and what the signals in and signals out are. Then draw up a Spec for a new panel work from there. Leaving the old panel in untouched and operational until the changeover, during planned maintenance.

Rather than entertain re-working old panel.