Remote Machine Access

MikeVT

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone had experience with both the **** Cosy 131, and Weintek Easy Access 2.0? I have an OEM I do work for, who is shopping the internet on me, and came up with Easy Access/KEP (Maple Systems - same thing as KEP - Both Weintek products) HMI's as an alternative to the C-More's we use now. We have been using ****'s for remote access, with good success for a while now.

I am curious how the two access options compare:

1) For ease of use / reliability.
2) For acceptance with IT Security people.

Thanks

**** = E. W. O. N.

Used them a lot. No issues.

Recently we've moved over to using units from ****, that have been simple to set up, and reliable.

Edit:

**** = I X O N

I have no affiliation with that company. Just use them and so far, reliable

Is it possible for a SysAdmin to remove "FWON" from the "curse word" list?

It's been a decade (at least) since some (expletive) who was rep'ing that product line was spamming this forum with suggestions for that product, whether it was an appropriate solution or not. It was new back then and not well known, nor known if it was even a good product.

Now, it is better known, and seems to be a good solution in some cases for remote support.

I don't have a dog in this fight -- I've used them; I like them. I've used other things that I also like. I'm of an age where Norton PCAnywhere was how to do it, with a dedicated phone line, or at least one that could be connected. Not one of the solutions I liked, BTW.

I've used both the the Cosy's/Flexy's and the Easy Access. Both are good products.

From what I have seen both are reliable.

I've had a couple hiccups with EVVON but they have pretty good support.

I would give a slight edge to the EasyAccess for ease of setting up. Plus, its not just a VPN device. It is an inexpensive option to some of their HMI's and even a headless HMI and this seems to make it a little easier to use and nice to deal with one vendor on all of it.

I prefer the Weintek HMI's over C-More. I believe they are better built/more reliable.

Keep in mind Weintek is all Chinese stuff. No IT person worth their salt would approve of that. I believe the EVVON's are made in Europe.

Its also interesting while other manufacturers (Rockwell) can't provide their product in a timely manner due to chip shortages, Weintek's stuff has been on the shelf, ready to go, all along.

If no equipment needs to be installed, then try....

For 5 years, I've been using *********.net. I have all the necessary software on my end. The remote end is just any Windows laptop with Java installed and an Ethernet cable. I've made programming changes to various AB controls in South Korea, Pakistan, Puerto Rico and all over the US from my recliner at home.

I've used **** and the speed is about the same. But I don't have to ship anything. Just get any schmo out there to connect on the other end. Sometimes a connection can be made in minutes.

There is a small percentage of remote facilities that may block either the site or the port 8901. Their internal IT department can fix it or a 4G hotspot can be used instead.

okay then. It's
Papa Lima Charlie Romeo Echo Mike Oscar Tango Echo Dot November Echo Tango.

It works as well as Echo Whisky Oscar November without the hardware.

đź““

I haven't heard of i**n, what's the differentiation between that and e**w?

One of my use case is not so much remote access but a cloud dashboard for critical parameters. My understanding is that Cosy is more for remote access while Flexy can do remote access and cloud dashboard with compatible protcols like modbus and Ethernet/IP.

Last edited:
We use the I x o n to monitor and trend data from the plc. So customers can see a nice webpage on how their plant is working.

Remote connection is its secondary use for us.

I**n look interesting and I'll check them out. The pricing model looks similar to E**n but they seems more liberal with the dashboard function. I think E--- limit the number of tags on dashboard.

EasyAccess would be a hard no for my place of work due to the Chinese based company.

The StrideLinx is a rebranded ikson and we love them. They're simpler to set up than the ewokian but do require an internet connection to make config changes (there's no standalone app for that). I have 23 of them in service now. They also play well with Red Lion HMIs that support the Web Server so I can give the end users access to their respective HMIs using the StrideLinx portal.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ions/secure_remote_access_-_vpn#sort=&start=0

I've used ewon, installed by a 3rd party. It worked fine, but there is of course a subscription and their hardware isn't the cheapest either.

I use a ÂŁ250 router that accepts OpenVPN client certs. Have over 100 remote devices, I can access any through the VPN tunnel as if I was direct connected.

p.s. censorship hasn't changed, I just know a trick. added an extra / to not format it

ew[//COLOR]on