Remote Machine Access, ****, Talk2M and Ecatcher

BryanG

Has anybody used one of the range of devices from ****, the Talk2M website and their VPN software, eCatcher. It looks like the combination solves the problem of having to have a known public facing ip address at the remote end. Would be interested in any experience you have had, ease of setup, support, did it work etc. The **** I was looking at is the 2500CD on the the remote machine ethernet LAN (local area network) via a 3G mobile connection.

Thanks

Bryan

We use the **** 2005CD. Myself I have only tested it in-house, but with as realistic a setup as possible. Colleagues has used it for real. We plan to use it when customers buy it, or when we find it an advantage for ourselves.

Our scenario is to have the end-customer provide a www connection via their regular LAN. We do not use the modem, only the WAN port.

It is a bit of a learning curve to use the first time. And I have made a guide for the last part of the setup (collegues had already made some initial setup).
It really works as advertised. You dont need to involve the respective IT departments as long as local and remote sites have www access.
Performance is so-so because we use the free talk2m variant. This shares the bandwitdh with all the other cheapskates. We will probably go for the paid version in the future. I dont know how expensive that is.
The ecatcher software has had some cases of locking up, requiring a reboot to cure. Not sure if it has been solved by later versions of the software.

bryan you are the light of my life. lol. the above mentioned products is exactly what i need for the thread "principle of remote connection to plcs". This will work great if only a gprs or edge connection is available and even better, they have a distributor in my country.

JesperMP - Thanks for the reply, looks like I will take a chance on the next couple of machines. Think I will go with the free version for now, they are a bit vague on the Pro version pricing. I will update the thread when I know that things are working.

Chud - Always glad to be the 'light of someones life', though of course you know that there is a charge for the service. And, due to the high cost of energy there is a surcharge depending on the number of lumens you require :). Invoice is in the post.

Bryan