Remote Run vs. Remote Program

MattMatt9

I should know this by now but have never been given a straight answer...seems like they almost do the same thing. I am using Studio 5000 by the way.

The controller has two modes, Run or Program. Run, the program is executing, Program, the program is not executing.

Remote refers to the center position of the key switch. When in the Remote position, the PLC can be placed in Run or Program mode via Logix Designer. If the key switch is in the Run or Program position, it is forced in that mode and cannot be changed from the software.

I see so if I were to change it to "remote program" from ym station right now it would stop executing and shutdown the operation?

I see so if I were to change it to "remote program" from ym station right now it would stop executing and shutdown the operation?

Yep. Remote just means that it is allowed to be changed remotely (from the software). There is no functional difference between having the key switch in Program mode and the software putting the PLC in Remote Program mode. One just refers to the key switch putting the controller in Program mode, the other refers to the software putting the controller in Program Mode.

Is there a reason it would ever be in program mode? Commissioning?

Well it will be in program mode when downloading. I was remoted into a techs computer yesterday. I needed to make some changes to his machine that needed a download. After he shut the system down, I needed about 5 minutes to make the changes to his program. I put the PLC in program mode while I was making the changes, I didn't want someone to be able to start the machine while I was preparing the program to download.

Sometimes we'll use program mode in our ship to sharpen peoples troubleshooting skills.

When I program a CPU on the bench I always make it a habit to put the key in Program, so that when it is put in its home rack and powered up it is forced to not run the program, which could be disastrous.