Replace functionality of TSXCUSBMBP modbus +

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm quite sure this usb modbus converter is toast. While trying to get a hold of another one, I wonder if there's any better option out there.

Background:

It's a USB to serial Modbus converter from Schneider. Documentation is hard to come by on it online. So what this box does, as far as I can tell is talk to a 485 network of modbus devices, both modbus plus and modbus RTU. It also have virtual serial port ability.

Kepware OPC then read it and connects with FTView SE. I am wondering if I'm missing something, because in my mind, why can't I just use a standard USB/485 adopter and use Kepware OPC modbus suite? Is there some functionality that I'm missing with TSXCUSBMBP?

An old thread on Control.com claims that Modbus Plus can run on 'regular' RS-485. I don't know the validity of that assertion, but it's here:
http://control.com/thread/966282131

Great link, thanks. I will read up on it.

It's the first time I encountered Modbus+ and I made some assumption that may not be true since I just assumed it to be RS485 but the taps they used here seems to be different than standard 485 wiring.

for now it seems I have no choice but to get one here. Longer term, we might see if it's worthwhile to eliminate this hard to get black-box.