Replacement for an old, old, old 2711-TC1... PanelView 1200

I use Prosoft MVI46-DFNT modules for this purpose if the customer doesn't have the budget to overhaul the entire system. It appears there is an available slot in the SLC chassis.

I’ve replaced several PanelView 1200 Terminals with Automation Direct C-More HMI’s. I removed the RIO scanner and connected the DH485 port of the SLC5/03 to the C-More HMI and connected the programming computer to the SLC5/03 serial port.

The Automation direct HMIs are easy to program and was an upgrade to the older PanelView 1200 Terminals. The last one I bought was the 10” Wide Screen C-More Touch Panel, EA9-T10WCL for $903.00 they were $716.00 about a year ago. The communication cable between the PLC and C-More HMI is EA-DH485-CBL for $25.50.

In my case the PLC and HMI are only a few feet apart so using the DH485 communication cable was not a problem, it’s only about 10 feet long cable.

There's a handful of these available refurbished over here, is this not a route you could go down?

At some stage the whole lot needs to be binned and replaced anyway, but it would get them up and running with minimal effort.

I'm glad I came back to check the post. I didn't realize there were more responses. Evidently I didn't click on the email link to allow more notifications to be sent.

I'm curious about the EZ Automation offerings, so I gave them a call today. Right away, they said I should call their sister company, AVG.net. Both companies offered solutions that would use the same RIO communication as the PV1200. The difference is that EZ Automation offered more of a do-it-yourself solution, that is less "industrial" than AVG. The tech guy at AVG talked about a turnkey solution, or buying a software-on-a-dongle license for about $500. The software is Uticor. It's an interesting solution (maybe not the turnkey, since I'd like to know how to do it, and the cost is pretty high), but I'm bothered by the lack of mention on this board. I'd really like to know if anyone here knows about this company and has experience with them. You can send me a private message if needed.

If you are looking for alternatives there are many out there
Most will require a learning curve as will the EZ Automation
As for kicking the can down the road anything you do right now that leaves the original 5/03 in place is doing just that. It has been obsolete for many years, in fact the full line of SLC 5’s has been obsolete
If you don’t mind a little learning time then custom build the HMI using net studio that runs on any standard computer would be a good choice and it’s easily transferred to any other computer. But as with any new software you will need to learn how to use it.
As for communication you would used port 0 of the 5/03 configured for RS232. I have seen many Panelview’s configured that way so your original processor will not need to be changed at all.
The only thing you will need to buy a developers license for the communication driver. That is just a onetime purchase and it can be used on as many applications as you want without any additional cost.
I have been doing this for about 30 years I find it much better and more flexible than any normal HMI’s
At some point in the future you will have to replace/upgrade that processor. The cost’s for that are just going to keep going up so it may be better to do that sooner than later if the budget is there.
One thing to consider is with the net studio when you upgrade the processor the same program can be used with just minor changes (the Communications Driver)

If i'm not mistaken the panelview 1200 only talks in numerical values and not floats. We had one at my plant and I replaced with a panelview 1000.
I cannot tell what the last two cards are in the slot of your rack from your picture. Remote IO is dead to the world because the chips are no longer available. I hear that RTA is working on a RIO interface gateway but what is the point if its no longer utilize any longer. Ez automation may also have a stake in the game. Up its a patch. Migrate the system completely to compact logix would be everyone recommendation in my opinion.