Replacing Device On CompactLogix System

>>>j<<<

Hello
I am working with a 5069-L320ERMS2 Compact Guard Logix.
I am replacing an obsolete Cognex camera with a newer model.
Communication is Ethernet/IP.
Restoring from the old camera to the new camera appears to be successful.
However, it looks like I need to update/modify the module properties in the PLC I/O config.
Guidance and/or steps to finish this process would be appreciated!

Old_Camera.jpg New_Camera.jpg

You need to delete the old camera definition and create a new definition of the new camera. You haven't provided any information on what the old or new cameras are so its impossible to tell it its a simple plug and play.

Best case will be that the new camera works just like the old one and has the same I/O definition. Worst case is that they are totally different and the logic driving it will have to be re-written.

If you're not comfortable with the latter, best to get someone experienced or ask Cognex for assistance.

Of course it could be as simple as the ethernet address hasn't been set on the new camera to match the old, can you confirm it has? The lack of data in the module info infers that it isn't.

You haven't provided any information on what the old or new cameras are so its impossible to tell it its a simple plug and play.

The old camera is an IS7010 and the new camera is an IS7500

Last edited:
You'll have to delete the current definition (7000 series) and replace it with another (7900-7500 series). The number of bytes transferred back and forth is the same, hopefully the bit definitions are the same. If not you'll have to re-map whatever the PLC code is using for the old to the new camera. I suspect they'll be the same but no guarantees.

It worked. Thank you for the guidance. Just to reiterate the process in case it helps anyone else that ever finds this post:

Just as you said, I deleted the old module definition (IS7010). Careful to take note of the associated tags.

Installed new module definition. Cognex AOP for IS7500.

Tags stayed in place. However, upon download there were a few errors. Some of the default IO labels had changed.
  • For example: O.Control.ForceOffline had to be changed to O.Control.SetOffline

Not too bad. Thanks again.