RFID for Class 1 Div 2 Hazardous Location

Maverick,

We distribute and install some RFID access control equipment. I cannot find any type of active tag that is rated for Class 1, Division 2, so it looks like passive tags may be your only option. Passasive tags would reqiire that either you have a very powerfull antenia, or the the users will need to present the tags to the readers, (within 3 or 4 inches). Additionally I havent been able to locate a reader or antenia rated for Class 1, Division 2. So at this point it seems like you'll need to place your readers outside the hazardous area, and use passive tags.

Design considerations:

Passive RFID is not 100%. That is you cant count on the reader picking up the tag ALL the time just by walking by the reader, without providing some type of feedback. If you use a corral & turnstile setup this may impeed emergency evacuation. So the key is user training compliance (like the brass tag system). Simply put, the users will need to present their tags to the reader and visually confirm the read with the indicator on the reader, or a seperate indicator activated by a dry contact on the controller. If necessary the controller can be used to activate an electric strike, or release a turnstile.

Since this is a pilot project, I would suggest a simple 2 reader controller. One controller would operate from two readers (entry & exit readers). The software package is pretty standered in the access control industry, and will allow you to assign spicific tags to each individual, and track all entry and exit events by individual, date & time etc..

The controller I'm sugessing is an SK-ACP from Secuakey. On that same page you will find long range readers intended for extream, (not hazardous) enviroments; RK-WL. The less expensive short range readers are RK-65K or RK-WM (either will work, but the RK-65K can be used as a stand-alone strike controller also). The passive tags can be either a card or keytag. We normally suggest the keytags RKKT-02. You can downlod the SK-NET softare here for free: http://www.securakey.com/docs/downloads/downloads.html

Your hardware investment might be around $2,000.oo, and playing with it would give your a good feel for how RFID access control & entry-exit tracking works.

You might find a local distributer here: http://www.securakey.com/docs/distrib/distrib.html

Have fun.

I have used passive tag system from Pepperl+Fuchs. Like Mike said, it's not 100% but very close. The downside for us is the product needs to be very close to the reader (1-2 inches). Oh yes, it's class 1, div 2. The RFID controllers are using standard RS232 but they just released a newer line that can interface directly with AB PLC using Ethernet/IP.

Another bad thing with passive tag system is we have to use a traslator in the PLC to translate the passive tag number to something useful. Since string files takes a lot of space in PLC, this can sometime be a problem.