Rockwell Product Key Location on Computer

Rockwell Product Key Location on Computer

I would like to know where Rockwell stores the product key on a computer.
No, I don’t need to contact tech support. I want to know the path/location to find this product key.

Thank you

In the modern era of the past fifteen years or so, Rockwell Automation has used both Flexera and CodeMeter software to power their FactoryTalk Activation.

FactoryTalk Activation combines software activation codes with hardware identifiers unique to a computer to create a "license key" text file with a *.LIC extension.

You can activate most Rockwell Software by "checking out" or "borrowing" an activation from a network activation server. That's how I do it with my OEM Toolkit.

Or you can activate your software using a hardware ID unique to your computer: a disk volume name, a network port's MAC ID, or a dedicated purpose USB dongle.

The *.lic files on your computer are stored by default in:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell Automation\Activations

That path is changeable on the Manage Activations tab of the FactoryTalk Activation Manager.

If you're asking about source code protection keys (*.sk) or the old RSI Activations from the Windows-before-7 era, or something else, please let us know.

Product Key not serial number.

As we all know when the software is purchased with media we receive the cd packet and inside is the red envelope. Two things are the most important things in there, Product Key and Serial Number. These keys/numbers are then put into activation manager and activated. We can see the serial number in activation manager... but where can we find the product key on the computer?

Product Key not serial number.

As we all know when the software is purchased with media we receive the cd packet and inside is the red envelope. Two things are the most important things in there, Product Key and Serial Number. These keys/numbers are then put into activation manager and activated. We can see the serial number in activation manager... but where can we find the product key on the computer?

I do not believe the Product Key is kept on the computer. It may be used along with other things to create the license file. I have never had an issue when calling RA support and asking for help with the product key.

Thanks for clarifying. Ideally, include that degree of detail and context in your initial post.

The Product Key is delivered with the software only and is part of the activation process, but is not stored on the computer for review or recovery.

If you've lost the red envelope and have no record of that key code, Rockwell can very likely retrieve it from your company's purchase records, which might require some management or executive authorization.

I have lost PC due to crashes, etc... Never had an issue with Rockwell resetting the activation. When they do this, I do notice that the product key changes from the original "red envelop" key.

Thanks for that detail, Harry, I didn't know that ! It makes sense, to track the activations that have actually been issued to a customer for their license.

Activation support is generally free of charge, whether you have a TechConnect contract or not.

When I mentioned that you might need some executive or management authorization, I was referring to the old practice of having a software licensing contact for the company whose name is noted in the registration records.

When the Controls manager at the OEM I work for now left and a new manager took over, we had to call our Rockwell sales office and explain that to them, and they vouched for us with Tech Support. It took a day but was largely painless.

If you have the serial number and know the name of the company it is licensed to, you can look it up here
https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/home.aspx
Click the Downloads by Serial Number link. From there, enter the proper information. Then, from the download screen you can see the Activation Certificate.
Instead of company name, you can also get to the download page if you know the Product Key (which you don't), Order Number, Contract Number, Authorization Number, or Subscription Number.

License.JPG

If you have the serial number and know the name of the company it is licensed to, you can look it up here
https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/home.aspx
Click the Downloads by Serial Number link. From there, enter the proper information. Then, from the download screen you can see the Activation Certificate.
Instead of company name, you can also get to the download page if you know the Product Key (which you don't), Order Number, Contract Number, Authorization Number, or Subscription Number.

Nice to know...

Rockwell uses a host ID which is a MAC address you can either brand to the HostID or to the HDD best bet is HostID as you can always MAC spoof or change a MAC if using a VM.