RS Linx Topics

Burch

Can someone provide a definition of topics in RSLinx?

Seems this is a "path" to a controller form which data will be gathered?

Thanks,

Burch

Not quite sure what you are asking, perhaps expand a bit. If you are asking what RSLinx is, its the communication service that connects your computer to automation devices over ethernet/usb/etc

years ago Bill Gates came up with the idea that one Windows program should be able to "talk" with another Windows program through a system named DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) ...

not all Windows programs are DDE "compliant" – but RSLinx is (as long as the word "LITE" doesn't appear in the title bar) ... in simplest terms, the "free" stuff won't do the magic ...

Microsoft Excel is also DDE "compliant" ...

the "topic" that you asked about is just part of the "path" between two DDE programs ...

so ...

suppose that you set up a topic in RSLinx named "Burch" (without the quotes) ...

then suppose that you go to a cell in Excel and type in the following equation:

=RSLinx|Burch!'N7:0'

if all goes well, the value stored in the PLC's location N7:0 should pop up on your Excel screen ...

Last edited:
I follow that part.

I the past I have used RSLinx in a very basic way, to download programs to PLC, monitor data while on line, etc.

Working on a project where we will be gathering and storing data found within a CPU.

My minimal understanding of adding DDE/OPC topics, is that they are the "path" between the data storage file (maybe excel) and the CPU tag list (where the data is at within the CPU).

Does that sound about correct?

Ron,

I was typing when your response came through.

From what you said, I think I get the basic idea of the DDE/OPC topics within RSLinx.

Thanks!!

Burch