RS Linx will not allow PIC Driver to install

"Can not create new PIC device when RS Linx is running as a service, to create a new PIC device, run RSLinx as a normal application" That is the error message I get when trying to install the drive to go online. I have win XP, linx version 2.31

Thank you, I got that part done but now the driver status shows it is stopped and the right hand column is greyed out so that I can not click run. Also, usually I just hit auto-config and it is a no brainer, however with the PIC it does not allow me that option...... after clicking on configue it just allows me to change com port and baud rate...... I know this isn't normal.... and it is still now showing the a connection to the PLC.....can't ger online

someone correct me if I'm wrong ... but ... it's my understanding that with XP your computer MUST have a real-live-honest-to-goodness serial port in order to use the PIC driver ...

so ... does yours have such a port? ... if not, then I think that a 1747-UIC (and the appropriate cable) is the next step ...

and also ... there is NO "autoconfigure" button for the PIC ...

If you have a serial port on your laptop, I'd check to make sure no other application is using your it. The PIC driver takes total control of my serial port when it's running on my laptop. Even after shutting down Linx and rebooting the computer, I couldn't get my EZ Touch software to communicate through the serial port. I had to uninstall the PIC from Linx to get it to work. I'm guessing the reverse is true and that the PIC won't start if anything else has control of the port.

Yeah I tried that already. I how to resolve this. My co-worker has the same dell XP laptop and he was able to connect with the PIC. Actually it is wierd because at one time the RSLinx driver did actually display the PLC in the RS Who Browsing for nodes viewer, however it was crossed out with the RED X, now I can't even get it to see it like that. Tis a mystery.

I went thru the same bs yesterday...never did get online...I thought it was me.

How about one of you AB masters post an online guide to RS Linx...A few years ago I didn't have any problem using it, now forget it...Is this a sign of old age??

David

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but to install a PIC driver you need to have administrator rights on your PC.

Just my 2 cents.

Kind regards,

Leonard, this may not work but I had exactly the same problem last week. After you stop linx from running as a service cold boot your computer, this worked for me last week. Sometimes linx won't start a driver until you do. Hope this helps.
Lori

One other thing you can try:

Shut down RSLinx. Go to Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon folder. Look for (2) files called Harmony.rsh and Harmony.hrc. The extension may not display on one or both of the files, but they should be the only files named "Harmony". Delete these (2) files: DO NOT DELETE ANY ABBREVIATED FILES SUCH AS "HRMYUI", JUST THE FILES CALLED "HARMONY".
Close Explorer and re-start RSLinx. These files are sort of like a connection cache (I know that's probably a poor description of their actual function) and sometimes they get corrupted. Especially if you have had difficulty creating/starting a driver or if you configure drivers that create a port conflict. The files are automatically re-created when Linx is started again.

The RSLinx PIC driver requires a physical COM1 port on your computer. It does not work with USB or pcmcia serial adapters. Only the COM port hanging off the back of a motherboard. When the driver is configured do not bother checking the "Reserve COM port..." option. This will only complicate matters. Often the driver will not load on the first try. Exit RSLinx and re-launch. See if it loads. If not then exit RSLinx and go to Device Manager and uninstall the COM1 port. Reboot. Windows will re-install the COM port. Launch RSLinx and see if the driver loads. If not then refer to Rockwell Knowbase: A9801 regarding ACPI. Otherwise throw the PIC away and get a 1747-UIC which is a USB to DH485 converter. You'll probably need a 1747-C10 cable as well if connecting to an RJ45 connector on your DH485 device.