Rs Logix 5000 ASCII write to real time automation module??

jeremyhass

Hi guys I have a big work cell that has 2 turntables and 4 fixtures, we have the Alpha signs(like you see in the restaurants the scrolling ones) we have used many of these signs and always had a stand alone machine so we had one processor and one sign, and we used the Comm 0 port to send Ascii messages to the one sign, but we 2 signs and one processor, we found a solution we are using the Real Time automation Module 435NBA and it has a ethernet connection in and 2 serial ports out for ascii data in or out, looks pretty slick the way it works, my local AB rep guy is a programmer, he told me I had to "With the Real Time Automation Device you have to define a Read and Write tag in the controller. You move the ASCII data to that Write location" but I have always used the AWT instruction for all of my Ascii messges, but I don`t understand do I keep using the AWT? this data from the AWT need to be sent out the Ethernet port to RTA module, channel 1? the processor at the plant is a 1769-L35E compactlogix, any help would be great or am I just Idiot? :ROFLMAO:

You don't need to do anything. Make a string tag, configure the gateway to monitor that tag. The gateway can either poll it, or just cyclically spit the contents out the serial port.

In the CLX, just form your message, and copy it to the tag the gateway is reading. Done.

yeah what making the tag go high(certain conditions are meant to send the data) right now I have a AWT instruction that when certain conditions are made it sends the data but I guess I don`t understand how or what instruction to use to tell the tag to be sent? also the problem I have I can test anything because the plant is 200 miles away and they have the module and the processor and the signs they just wanted me too look into it first, because the original company was responsible to take our fixtures and signs and integrate them into there system they originally had a ASCII module and they seem like they did not want to fix the the issue or problem , so the plant has there Porgrammer there that would like too do it but they have other issues right they are trying to figure out he couldn`t get too it right away and he is unsure how it would work, so they wanted me take a look at it first thanks

Last edited:
What?
A tag doesn't "Go High".
AWT Is an instruction specifically to send the value of a string tag out the serial port.
The RTA Gateway has nothing, zero, nada, nicht, zip to do with the processor serial port.
The RTA Gateway periodically READS THE STRING TAG FROM THE PLC and spits it out on its own serial port.
It is 100% transparent to anything you do in the PLC. It READS a tag, and sends it somewhere.

so I have below

Copy file
source soldering_fixture_1_in_manual_mode.data
dest leave blank?
length 24 <---- number I get from the LEN.

correct?:unsure:

I would just test try it if I had t he processor and the sign and the RTA module, I just need to know I`m close for the gus at the plant thanks

The RTA device doesn't even appear in the I/O list. The RTA module does all the work. When setting up the RTA module you will define for each port a string tag in the CompactLogix program that the RTA module will monitor. Let's say you named them Alpha_Sign_1 and Alpha_Sign_2

Conditions TRUE - Copy string into Alpha_Sign_1. This makes a non-zero length string in Alpha_Sign_1

The RTA module reads Alpha_Sign_1, sees that the location has a string (is non-zero length), sends that string out the serial port and then zeroes (clears) Alpha_Sign_1.

If you wish in your CompactLogix program you can monitor that Alpha_Sign_1 has been cleared and see that as evidence that it has been sent and is free for another string.

Repeat the above description of the process for tag Alpha_Sign_2.

Re you pseudo-code. In my example the destination would be Alpha_Sign_1. If the data and the destination are both strings then the length is 1 (one string to be copied).

Attached is a rung from one of our programs. The rung checks that the monitored string is empty then, the COPy send it to the string that the RTA is monitoring.

CheckEmpty.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bernie, makes a little more sense but the source just needs to be the the main tag example soldering_fixture_1_in_manual_mode not the soldering_fixture_1_in_manual_mode.DATA tag correct? in the data tag thats were my ASCII characters are o_O