RSlogix 5000 ASCII processing

Petr_Broza

Hi guys,

I got barcode scanner, which give me each character as SINT (style is ASCII), I want to put all these characters in one string, which will be matching actual code (so if scanner gives me 'A' 'B' 'C' I want to get 'ABC' not decimal ascii interpretation '656667'). I tried to use CONCAT, which work only with string, so I used DTOS, which gives me decimal interpretation of ASCII character. So is there any way how to put these characters in string tag?

Thanks for any help

Petr

-----------
Rslogix 5000, CompactLogix L24ER, Cognex DataMan 8050

Looks like I need more sleep. Solution is very simple, all it need is COP instruction, and copy all character to string. Didn't know I can copy operands with different data types (SINT to STRING).

Thanks for posting the solution. It may have turned out to be simple for you, but it was definitely over my head.

Will.

I don't know how it is possible it's working, cause even a Help for COP function says: "Important: the Source and Destination operands should be the same data type, or unexpected results may occur"
But actually it is right, unexpected result really occurred in good way.

Actually COP is very good at moving data between data types *when you don't want it to try and interpret the data in any way*. COP just copies the data bit for bit without regard for datatypes. Normally, if you COP a DINT to a REAL, expect garbage as a result. If that DINT happens to have data in REAL format in it, like from a Modbus message, then COP it to a REAL tag and it works.

A STRING consists of a .LEN (DINT) and .DATA (Array of SINTS). I wrote a long-winded post here, but I'm hoping a single picture might be worth my thousand words :D

STRING.jpg

Adding to that picture, here's a dodgy one, and a slightly less dodgy one.

Barcode_LADDER.jpg Barcode_ST.png

Last edited: