RS Logix 5000 v16 & v17 XP Mode v20.04 & v28 Windows 7 . Same licenses ?

Good Evening ,

I am still trying to wrap my head around this virtual thing. But I have a question concerning RS Logix 5000 having v16 and v17 on XP Mode and v20.04 and v28 on Windows 7. Can you have the same Serial number and license on XP Mode and Windows 7 ? When I go to activate my v16 and v17 I cannot activate RS Logix 5000 in XP Mode . It says that there is no activations left. Makes sense , but it seems like since it is our software we should be able to use it in both XP Mode and Windows 7 on the same laptop. Is there any way around this ? What have you folks done in this case ?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

You need to setup your laptop OS (the host) with FT Activation Server. The VM OS (XP) will be a FT Activation Client. You need to configure the client to retrieve the license from activation server. Be sure to setup the VM networking properly so it can find the host machine. I typically set it up as bridged and the host and VM IP Addressing are unique but on the same network. You may have to "trick" the VM into thinking it's connected to a network. This is only required if you are not connected to any network. Just plug you LAN port into a switch regardless of if it actually needs to be. Lan ports need to "think" they are connected to a network.

Last edited:
Good Evening ,

I am still trying to wrap my head around this virtual thing. But I have a question concerning RS Logix 5000 having v16 and v17 on XP Mode and v20.04 and v28 on Windows 7. Can you have the same Serial number and license on XP Mode and Windows 7 ? When I go to activate my v16 and v17 I cannot activate RS Logix 5000 in XP Mode . It says that there is no activations left. Makes sense , but it seems like since it is our software we should be able to use it in both XP Mode and Windows 7 on the same laptop. Is there any way around this ? What have you folks done in this case ?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Well, technically, you are trying to use one activation on multiple "machines", and therefore you may need multiple licenses.

It could be a good discussion about whether 1 PC running several VM's could be used by more than one "seat" (person)...

Possibly you might need to setup the "base" machine as an activation server, leasing licenses to whoever, but it will only allow one Logix/Studio 5000 to be activated at any one time.

Have you talked to RA about this, I'm sure it's a topic they are totally familiar with.

In the meantime someone on here will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Why don't you just install RSLogix5000 v16, v17 on the Windows 7 ??? There might be issues with install order, so you might have to start again, but it all works seamlessly once installed.

I'm running RSLogix5000 versions back to 10, and Studio 5000 up to 28 on Windows 7 Pro with no problems

Edit : Paully's5.0 in faster !!

Last edited:
Speaking with Rockwell the other day they said that v16 and v17 will not run on Windows 7. I tried to load them on my Windows 7 laptop , but I could not get thru the Microsoft.Net 1.1 install.

Did you need to do anything special ? What is with this Microsoft . NET 1.1 . This seems like the hang up. Why would Rockwell say it does not run on Windows 7 ?

Did you need to do anything special ? What is with this Microsoft . NET 1.1 . This seems like the hang up. Why would Rockwell say it does not run on Windows 7 ?

I can't remember details, but I have 1 desktop and 2 laptops, all with versions 10 to 24+ on them under Win 7 Pro

The trick is to install them in version order, slotting one in in the middle is a no-brainer.

I don't recall any problems I had to deal with, just let the installers go and it all works.

EDIT : Why not ask RA why they said that, I can't answer for them.

Do you use the "Managed Download " or the straight download ? So you are saying that I need to uninstall v20.04 and v28 , install v16 , then v17 , v20.04 , then v28 ?

As I recall, the trick was to install the version that was compatible with Windows 7 (v18??)first, then work your way backwards. It's been a long time though. I also recall having to do something special for .Net 1.1, thought I found a technote on the knowledge base about it.

Not run on Win 7 and not 'supported' on Win 7 are two different situations, I suspect Rockwell meant to say not supported.

I had a Chat session with Rockwell and below is the RA quote from the transcript........

01:43:04 PM] Beata: I see that version 16 and 17 are not compatible with Windows 7

Rockwell does not support those older versions on Windows 7. But that doesn't mean they won't run.

I believe the previous comment of installing the compatible version first, then install the older versions. I believe that was the procedure that worked.

OG