RS5000 Searching and Comparing Difficulties

Boy, that would be neat. How does the instruction on rung 9 know that the result of the next 18 instructions is false.
I would expect to see the 'Catch Anything that didn't match' instruction after the rest of them.

Is there a 'failsafe' instruction after the rungs you posted somewhere?

Not that I am aware of.

And that's what I was wondering. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how that would work, and I haven't found anything on it while researching this, either. Since there is still plenty in this business that I have absolutely no idea about, I just took him at his word that that was how it worked.

But here's the thing: it does seem to work. I mean, generally if something other than '01' to '18' comes up in the CAT Code, it generates the proper message. Every once in a while - such as this morning - it does not. Not quite to the point of banging my head on the desk, but not far off.

So, I just loaded those rungs to a processor and tried them.

I cannot make it select 0 unless the catCode is literally $00$00 , anything else that isn't 01-18 just stays at whatever the last value was.

So, when I tried RG11SP it just stayed at whatever I had copied into the result.

Last edited:
Huh. Very odd, as I can go out right now and verify that other codes give me that 'O.' Man, now my head's spinning... This just keeps circling the drain.

Huh. Very odd, as I can go out right now and verify that other codes give me that 'O.' Man, now my head's spinning... This just keeps circling the drain.

Do a crossref on the Station1CatDisplay and make sure nothing else is writing to it outside of those rungs.

Also, Is the CatCode manually entered along w/ the WO i'm guessing? Or is that scanned from the barcode?

I'm sort of out of ideas after this, Maybe check your barcodes aren't decoding weird or anything.

Do a crossref on the Station1CatDisplay and make sure nothing else is writing to it outside of those rungs.

Also, Is the CatCode manually entered along w/ the WO i'm guessing? Or is that scanned from the barcode?

I'm sort of out of ideas after this, Maybe check your barcodes aren't decoding weird or anything.

Ah-ha! You're correct, and I should have looked down a couple more rungs: Rung 29 has a comment that says: "If WO is not found then zero WO display and put null in CATCode just for displaying info on the station display."

So it would appear that if things are not found than it puts the Null Code in to start off with.

The CATCode is generated from another data base, JDEdwards, that we use. It is attached to the WO # from the front office. So, when a new WO is genereated, it is actually a 45 digit barcode that is scanned from a print-out. The first 11 characters if the WO#; the next 6 are the CAT Code, and the final 28 is the JDEdwards number.

And yeah, that whole running out if ideas thing? Very familiar with that...

Thanks for all your help, though - very much appreciated.

So there's something at least...
So, thinking outloud, in order to get 0 in Station1CatDisplay, you need to have the PackRoomCCarray at the right .pos be '$00$00' for the last 2 digits.

But, looking at your export, WO 592426 should match, and should load RG11SP at the CatCode. Which should not work right? Ideally that would eval the display to 0 but it won't based on the exported rungs.

So you'll want to dig further down that rabbit hole and check the logic that breaks the barcode down into its component parts and make sure THAT is working right.