RSFactoryTalk SE & Microsoft SQL Server

Robot_Man

Hi, does anyone have any experience setting up Alarm & Events historian in RS Factory Talk SE running on a PC in Local Stand-alone. I need to log the generated Alarms and Events, which are appearing on the A&E Viewer as they disappear when not active and have been acknowledged.

I have installed the MS SQL Server Express supplied but can find no references as to how one should set up the database to which you then have to point!

Many thanks in advance!

There is a link to a PDF document under Help (I believe) in Studio. I don't have Studio in front of me, but I think it says something like Quick Start Factory Talk Alarms and Events. It has a step by step instructions how to make it happen, including installation of SQL Server Express.

Go to your factorytalk administration console and then to tools -> Factorytalk Diagnostics -> Setup... destination setup -> ODBC database. Enter in your db information etc. Click the help from the setup, it has tons of info in it.

Okay, I had previously installed SQL Server 2005 Express from the Redist folder on the FTVSE CD, and had also followed the pdf instructions from the link in the Help file. It looked to be a reasonable set of easy to follow instructions, but then I got stuck in the usual Rockwell mire... When adding a new database, having chosen Definition Name, ticked Microsoft SQL Server Express, etc. etc. I clicked ok.

Now I get a SQL Server Log On dialogue box popped up asking me to enter the User Name and Password of a datbase user with system administrator priviledges. I tried the same Datbase username and password as just entered, click ok and all I get is an error message from FTAEHistorian "Unable to connect to the database. Database error - [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied"

I have checked the rules under "password validation failure" and I'm not breaking any!

SteveB1475: I've done as suggested, and all is fine until I get to the bit where it's looking for Data source name and target table. Should these be already in existence or am I creating them here?? Also, with the User Name and Password required is that the same as to be used when defining the Database?? I'm getting out of my depth as it's not clear to me which I have to set up first.

Should I be setting anything up in SQL Server?? (I know b*gger all about that s/w!).

I'm really grateful to those who have provided me with some super help and of course have been really glad to reciprocate when seeing problems come up which I have already encountered.

I feel like I'm not far off with this one, yet it is still rather frustrating to say the least!

Is everything running on the same machine? If not, that may be the issue. The express editions have some limitations. I Have worked with C# express with SQL server express and if I remember correctly they need to be on the same box or C# can't connect to the DB. Sorry if this is no help.

Using the windows run to start cliconfg.exe

Then configure the General tab as shown in the attached picture.

There is also a picture of my database properties as set up in Rsview SE, although I'm using SQL Express, I had to set it as SQL Server for it to make the database.

HTH

cliconfg.jpg db_properties.jpg

Can you connect successfully locally with Enterprise Manager Express or in the ODBC connection (control panel->admin tools->Data Sources) with that username/password?

It sounds like a DB permission configuration problem more than anything else. In SQL Server you should have a user setup with that password, permission coming from that IP address (localhost/127.0.0.1), and permission to the database(s) you're using.

Another think to consider about SQL Server Express is that it uses this hoaky "named pipes" connection instead of the standard TCP connections that the full blown version uses. You should be good on the software side since it sounds like that tutorial is designed/written for Express Edition.

Okay, I had previously installed SQL Server 2005 Express from the Redist folder on the FTVSE CD, and had also followed the pdf instructions from the link in the Help file. It looked to be a reasonable set of easy to follow instructions, but then I got stuck in the usual Rockwell mire... When adding a new database, having chosen Definition Name, ticked Microsoft SQL Server Express, etc. etc. I clicked ok.

Now I get a SQL Server Log On dialogue box popped up asking me to enter the User Name and Password of a datbase user with system administrator priviledges. I tried the same Datbase username and password as just entered, click ok and all I get is an error message from FTAEHistorian "Unable to connect to the database. Database error - [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied"

I have checked the rules under "password validation failure" and I'm not breaking any!

SteveB1475: I've done as suggested, and all is fine until I get to the bit where it's looking for Data source name and target table. Should these be already in existence or am I creating them here?? Also, with the User Name and Password required is that the same as to be used when defining the Database?? I'm getting out of my depth as it's not clear to me which I have to set up first.

Should I be setting anything up in SQL Server?? (I know b*gger all about that s/w!).

I'm really grateful to those who have provided me with some super help and of course have been really glad to reciprocate when seeing problems come up which I have already encountered.

I feel like I'm not far off with this one, yet it is still rather frustrating to say the least!

Last edited:
Thank you

Using the windows run to start cliconfg.exe

Then configure the General tab as shown in the attached picture.

There is also a picture of my database properties as set up in Rsview SE, although I'm using SQL Express, I had to set it as SQL Server for it to make the database.

HTH

I had already found at Rockwell's site the Answer refering 'cliconfg'. But Bryan's tip about optioning for SQL Server instead of SQL Express saved my day. Big thanks!(y)