RSL5000 and ABB ACS550 VFD

I am having problems connecting my L32E to an ABB ACS550 RETA-01 Ethernet/IP Module. AB tells me the problem is with the RETA and ABB tells me it on my PLC side or a "bad" RETA module... Do an RMA and send it in or try a new module. This would be great if I had the time or an extra module, but this is installed and we are trying to commission.

Is there a Ethernet/IP tool I can download to read/write to registers directly from PC to RETA module? Also, this module has the ability to perform Modbus TCP/IP protocol. If I switch the comms protocol in the module and test via Modbus simulator and can read/write to the designated registers does that indicate that the Ethernet/IP protocol should be functioning as well?

Thanks for the assistance!

T.

I am having problems connecting my L32E to an ABB ACS550 RETA-01 Ethernet/IP Module. AB tells me the problem is with the RETA and ABB tells me it on my PLC side or a "bad" RETA module... Do an RMA and send it in or try a new module. This would be great if I had the time or an extra module, but this is installed and we are trying to commission.

Is there a Ethernet/IP tool I can download to read/write to registers directly from PC to RETA module? Also, this module has the ability to perform Modbus TCP/IP protocol. If I switch the comms protocol in the module and test via Modbus simulator and can read/write to the designated registers does that indicate that the Ethernet/IP protocol should be functioning as well?

Thanks for the assistance!

T.
Q1. No idea.
Q2. I would think that if one protocol works the module is going to be good to go.
Are you getting a specific fault?

Thanks for the reply. No specific fault, can ping the drive successfully from anywhere on the plant which makes this even more frustrating?!?! I am using the Generic Ethernet Device profile and does not connect.

From Ken Roach:
A very simple tool to verify that an EtherNet/IP stack is running is called TCPing, by Eli Fulkerson. It
allows you to send a TCP connection request over to the port of your choice, so it's similar to PING,
but with TCP instead of ICMP.
If you can "TCPing 192.168.10.235 44818" and get a response, you'll know the drive is correctly
configured to run EtherNet/IP (44818 is the standard port for all EtherNet/IP TCP messages)

Do the LED's tell you anything?
I have no experience with Ethernet/IP but when using MB-TCP/IP we always use the ABB profile.

If you have DriveWindows Lite send your parameter profile to ABB and ask them to verify that all is proper.

I have not used TCPing before but it looks like an interesting tool and I am going to give it a shot.

Also going to check out the DrivesWindows Light application.

Thank you both,

T.

does not connect.

In Studio 5000, look at the bottom of the I/O tree while you're highlighting that Generic Ethernet Module object.

There will be an error code. 16#0000_0204 is the most common I/O timeout, but there can also be different codes for identity (uncommon) and size (very common) mismatches.

Thank you all for the input.

Problem: Unable to establish comms from L61 to ABB ACS550 VFD.

Fix: It turns out that I had hardware configuration issues that I was unaware of...

The client used the Generic Ethernet Module in the RSL5K project. After setting this up with the correct data I started to get an error message: 16#0317 (Unscheduled Cnet needs to be scheduled).

The hardware config is as follows: 4 Racks networked together via ControlNet with a ENTB in the last rack. I ended up finding an old post here regarding this topology and how unreliable it was. From there I was able to track down a couple KB topics that addressed the issue directly.

To make a very long and boring story short - Bridging ethernet communications with controlnet is possible in some configuration but not ever recommended due to unreliability and connection issues. Client is resisting moving the ENTB in main rack but from all that I have read this is the best solution and may be required due to the current HW config.