RSLinx across an Ethernet network

Kidblue

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is feasible to have RSLinx single node (in this particular case) running on a stand alone pc, with a 5/05 and PV+1000 all on their own subnet and IP range. Then have MS Office etc running on a completely different pc and subnet/IP range.

Our client has been advised to totally seperate any Rockwell software products (namely RSLinx) from Microsoft as is reasonably practical.

I was under the impression that if you attempt to setup a DDE link on (say) an Excel spreadsheet and RSLinx wasn't running locally it would throw up an error??

This is all to do with an error message that has become more frequent on his intranet (something to do with 'COM SURROGATE' errors) - and he has been swayed towards a compatibilty issue with RS and MS.

Wouldn't he need at least one RSLinx Gateway version to achieve DDE across different pc's and subnet ranges??:confused:

Thank you.

In my humble opinion, it is easier and more reliable to use local OPC and local DDE connections, running RSLinx and Microsoft Office on the same PC. To run them on separate PC's, you're going to have to deal with permissions and stability of DCOM, nobody's favorite operating system protocol.

An RSLinx Gateway license is required to perform remote OPC or remote DDE services.

Thanks for the reply Ken,

Just to clarify what you're saying - do we need RSLinx Gateway on one machine as well as another RSLinx (single node maybe?) on the other. We cannot achieve DDE/OPC across a network with a sinkle installation of RSLinx....? o_O

I personally feel the issue lies somewhere on his intranet with whatever else he happens to be running, but unfortunately i'm going to have to exhaust all issues around the Rockwell side of things first..:rolleyes:

Thanks again...