RSLINX and PV1000 2711-T10C20 ser D

david90

I'm trying to figure why RSLINX couldn't automatically detect my ethernet PV1000 with the "ether/IP" driver. I configured the "ethernet/IP driver by selecting the ethernet adapter that connects to the PV1k. Is it possible that PV1k 2711-T10C20 ser D doesn't support auto detection/browse?

To communicate with the pv1k via ethernet, I had to use the "ethernet devices" driver and explicitly specified the pv1k's IP. Once that was done, I had no problem communicating with the PV1k. In rslinx's rswho window, the pv1k device's icon was a "question mark". The PV1k connects to my pc with a crossover Ethernet cable.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The Ethernet/IP protocol is newer than your PanelView terminal. Many older PLC-5 and SLC 500 controllers have the same problem.

The Ethernet devices driver is always the safe one. It works with anything, old or new.

OG

Is the problem presents in all older pv1k or only in certain older pv1k? I recall working on a pv1k ser E with an ethernet port and I did not encounter the problem

The yellow question mark within the RSLinx's RSWho window is caused by the missing HMI terminal's .eds (Electronic Data Sheet) file registration. The .eds file needs to be registered on the machine running RSLinx in order for the software to establish the communications capabiities of the device.
You could download the file at :http://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/eds/
and then, using RSLinx Tools EDS Hardware Installation Tool,register the file on your PC.

This isn't a manufacturing problem or a bug. Understand, a new protocol came out well after the PV terminal was built. How WOULD an older product know about this new protocol?

Firmware version 4.20 added Ethernet/IP. I believe 4.41 is the latest (last) firmware. If you have a TechConnect subscription you can go to the RA Knowledgebase and download the new firmware and update your PV terminals.

OG

I've had a problem before where i cannot get a connection and found it to be company installed Vipre anti-virus software. as soon as i disabled it, it popped right up with the Ethernet/IP driver.

This isn't a manufacturing problem or a bug. Understand, a new protocol came out well after the PV terminal was built. How WOULD an older product know about this new protocol?

Firmware version 4.20 added Ethernet/IP. I believe 4.41 is the latest (last) firmware. If you have a TechConnect subscription you can go to the RA Knowledgebase and download the new firmware and update your PV terminals.

OG

Thanks for the help.