RSLinx Backup Restore Utility Registry I/O error

I'm running into a problem when trying to use the RSLinx Backup Restore Utility where it throws an error when it tries to restore a backup.

The message it gives is: "An error occurred while attempting to restore previously saved settings. A subsequent attempt to restore last known good settings resulted in a Registry I/O error. The restore failed due to error 5: Access is denied".

I'm running Windows 10, version 22H2. The version of RSLinx (Classic) is 4.30.00.

What I've tried so far:
- Run the tool as administrator.
- Stop RSLinx and Harmony services.
- Reboot the PC and do both of the above.
- Windows Compatibility troubleshooter -tried every setting I could think of.

The result is always the same.

It does not matter what backup I select - even if I create a new backup and immediately try to load it without ever closing the tool.

One thing that I'm not clear on is whether the error is associated with the registry access, the backup file itself, or the current settings in RSLinx? It sounds like a registry access problem, but I am able to edit and change the RSLinx drivers from RSLinx, so registry access 'seems' to be okay.

I do have a ticket submitted with Rockwell, but have not heard back yet. Thought maybe someone else might have run into this and had a solution handy?

Many thanks for anyone's eyes on this!

welcome to the forum.

you have to shut down rslinx before doing a backup or restore.
then run the rslinx classic backup restore utility.
this is what i have had to do ever since windows 7.
this process works on windows 10 pro version 21h1
and i have 2 programming laptops with the software installed.

i cannot say about the registry error.
james

Thanks James and Mickey!

I tried the suggestion in the link to Ken Roach's post and that DID eliminate the error when running the restore. But it still did not do the restore - the RSLinx configuration does not update to what the restore had in it and my old configuration remains present.

Then if I try to do a second restore (tried a different backup) the error returns. I then delete the cache files again and try the restore on the the second backup again and the error goes away, but again the restore did not really restore (and yes I ran the tool as admin).

That is at least SOME progress! If you've got any other ideas then I'd be happy to try them.

Well guys, before you spend a lot of time on this, I did get a response from Rockwell support. They suggested seven different possible solutions. It's going to take me a while to work through all of them. I will post back the results.

For anyone interested, and who has access to Rockwell's customer help website, here is the list of seven 'solutions' I was sent to work through: https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/29224/track/AvNskAoHDv8Q~fMyGr8K~yI8S7Eq1y75Mv_4~zj~PP9x

I ended up having to go through ALL of them. With that behind me, I would VERY STRONGLY recommend that you jump to the bottom and do the Restart in Safe Mode first - even though that sent me down a rabbit hole for recovering my Bitlocker key. If you end up reinstalling RSLinx then you will lose your configurations AND your loaded EDS files. That's a pretty big bummer only to find that you will still have the problem of not being able to restore your backups (the EDS files are gone even if you do manage to restore your configuration).

To top it off, as soon as I reboot back into normal windows, I'm no longer able to do a restore - I have to go back into Safe Mode again. So, the issue still isn't resolved, but at least there is now a work-around - as long as I'm willing to type in that eye-crossing (48 characters!) bitlocker key every time.

A quick correction! The EDS files did remain intact after all. Apparently it was a matter of the cache files being deleted that cause the ID responses I had seen before to go away that made me think the EDS files were gone. Once I connected back to the network, the ID's all came back.

So, that's one less thing for anyone else to worry about that runs into this same issue.