RSLinx putting startup in auto

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
Whenever I startup RSLinx, any connection using USB, even though I put in manual startup, reverts to auto mode. I can manually stop them and put them back in manual and when I shutdown RSLinx, they revert back.

Thanks
George

RSLinx.jpg

Last edited:
HMM?, I have never seen that dialog.

I just tried it on my laptop and it works as it should. FYI, RSLinx was not running as a service, if that makes a difference.

When all else fails with RSLinx you might try deleting the harmony files, see text below.

Mickey,

I'll try that in the morning. I have service turned off. But I will turn off the 6 or so that use the USB port. I put them back in manual and as soon as I stop RSLinx and restart, it puts them all back in run and in Auto.

George

Are the drivers being used by an OPC Topic ?

One of the strange things RSLinx does by default is create an OPC Topic with the name of the RSLogix 5/500/5000 controller name. This is supposed to be convenient but might also result in your driver being started when you don't expect it to be.

If you open RSLinx GUI and look under the main menu for Topic Configuration, you can see all the topics remembered by RSLinx, and any in use *should* be marked with a padlock icon. I have seen that locked status get stuck on, although the app using it had long since shut down. Only once or twice have I had to delete a topic manually but it has happened. Sometimes, I will blow all the stale ones away just to tidy up when I go in there. Using RSLogix500 Pro definitely creates a topic for every program you open offline or online. Those topics get very active when you run CGMs, big CDMs, trends and other things. I suppose it enhances responsiveness of the RSLogix interface if those DDE topics are pre-configured.

The long list of inactive topics you might find shouldn't cost you any horsepower, but I don't need a topic saved away in some mysterious harmony file for every project I might ever open and glance through.

Last edited:
I just used Logmein and took a look. I have nothing under active topics.
Under Topic List, the left side is full. I was trying to get data logging working last summer on the test bench. SHould this be empty?

Thanks
George

I was in service mode even thou I have turned that off before. I also deleted the harmony files. I then restored my drivers. Now, only 3 USB drivers still change from Manual to auto and restart when I open RSlinx. Before about 8 of them would go back into auto mode. Thanks so far for the help.

George