RSLinx Unrecognized device

prabhuinst

Any Body Help me to resolve this Issue.
i installed RSlinx 2.56 on Windows Xp SP2.. after Configuration of drivers I try to Connect PLC its Showing "Unrecognized Device ".
Even i tried EDS file upload from device also Success fully Completed, But showing same. "Unrecognized Device".
Please find the attachment Error Window..
Thank You..

unrecognized.jpg

The picture is too small and blurry. Anyway, the red crosses mean that you have a communication problem (cable, firewall).

Try:
a) Checking the communications.
b) Uploading a better image.

RSLinx Unrecognized device Reload this Page Reply to Thread

Thanks for reply...

Communication is Good, But Rslinx Showing Unrecognized symbol

please find better attachment

Unrecognized1.jpg

It looks more like a network settings issue rather than an RSLinx or EDS problem. You have devices configured on different subnets in the same driver. If you put any random ip address in your config RSLinx will report it as an unrecognised device which is misleading. That just means it can't find it.

a) Did you change recently the computer's IP address? Check your subnet mask (computer & device).
b) Are you connecting the computer to the device through a router? Did you try connecting them point-to-point?
c) Did you try using another computer?

1) Both of them same subnet mask
2) I am not using any router... Just point to point only
3) I tried with other computer which already configured.. It's is working well..

are you only referring to the device at 192.168.1.20?
looks to me like maybe EDS file needs to be installed or updated. you may be able to right click on the device and add EDS from Data sheet in Enet module. if not you can EDS file from RA website.

Should be specifically referring to it from the beginning...

rkukl said:
are you only referring to the device at 192.168.1.20?...

Don't ruin the guessing game!...

If you read the above carefully, and examine the screenshot closely enough, you can "deduce" that our friend appears to be just referring to the 1756-ENBT that has a Yellow ? and NO Red X.

We may "assume" that the Red X devices are remnants of previously browsed devices when the workstation was configured for the 10.1.60.x Subnet. So those devices, we can only "guess", do not appear to be what our friend is interested in right now.

Why can we "deduce", "assume" and "guess" as such?...

If you look at the computer icon; this represents the RSLinx Classic Ethernet driver "AB_ETH1" that they are trying to browse. This is recognized and is using 192.168.1.15. So this is the current Subnet that the workstation is using. The 1756-ENBT is at 192.168.1.20. So we know that they are on the same Subnet and are most "likely" to be the devices of interest here.

The 1756-ENBT does not have a Red X, just a Yellow ?. This means that the connection to it is OK. Another reason we know the connection is OK, and this is important, is the fact that it's name is recognized. The name can be recognized from certain devices without an EDS file because certain devices support CIP, such as this 1756-ENBT module. CIP devices include an Identity Object of which RSLinx Classic can access to call out the device ID. Of course, the Identity Object does not provide an icon. This must be provided with an EDS file.

So we know we are connected and reading the module OK.

I feel our friend may be confusing the situation by referring to the problem device as being an "Unrecognized Device", and while that is somewhat true, it is the other devices, of which we are not interested in, that are all listed as "Unrecognized Device". This is leading some to advise on the Red X problem, which is a Red Herring, pardon the pun.

Because the name is recognized and there is just a Yellow ?, this usually means that the correct EDS file is not registered, as mentioned...

rkukl said:
...looks to me like maybe EDS file needs to be installed or updated. you may be able to right click on the device and add EDS from Data sheet in Enet module. if not you can EDS file from RA website.

Again, if you read carefully...

prabhuinst said:
...after Configuration of drivers I try to Connect PLC its Showing "Unrecognized Device ".
Even i tried EDS file upload from device also Success fully Completed, But showing same. "Unrecognized Device"...

...they have already done this. However, once you register a new EDS file, you must stop and restart the RSLinx Classic Service, or else reboot, before it will take affect.

prabhuinst,

If you haven't rebooted since starting this browse and registering the EDS file from the module, then it could be as simple as turning off for the night and it will miraculously start working the next day. I've seen it happen often enough.

I would also ask if you have attempted to right-click the 1756-ENBT module and if so can you configure it? If you can it could even be as simple as a missing or corrupted icon file. Again, a proper unregister and re-register of the correct EDS file should sort this.

If you are happy with the EDS file, and it's still not resolved, I would next try recreating the driver, or better yet, create a new one.

In some cases yes, flushing the Harmony files can sort these kinds of issues, but I would be doubly sure on the above first before moving on to that.

To save all the if's, but's and maybe's, will you please specify the IP address and type of device you are specifically trying to communicate with instead of calling it the "Unrecognized Device", of which there are many in your screenshot.

Can you see the confusion it may be causing?

Regards,
George