RSLinx won't open

smohamed

Hey everyone,

I had a PC running with RSLinx 2.52 installed with RSView32 with 1500 tags. Well, someone decided to install some software and now I cannot run RSLinx.

1. I can't open it through the Start Menu
2. Everytime I re-start, it does not appear in the task bar.
3. I tried to uninstall and re-install and nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to see why it will not start.

Thanks,

Shamir

Does it give you any errors when you try to start it?

Also, have you tried uninstalling what ever it was that the person decided needed to be installed (a DVD player, so they could watch movies on the off shift?)

They installed some Spybot Software... which was totally the wrong thing to do.

No unfortunately it doesn't come up with any errors, you click on the icon through the Start Menu, and the computer just sits there.

Pretty weird stuff. I tried a System restore too, and that unfortunately failed as well.

One of the "magic bullets" for RSLinx problems is to delete the Harmony files. Go to C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon and locate any file beginning with the word Harmony (there will be one or two such files). Delete them. Linx will re-create on start-up. Cures an amazing array of ailments in Linx!

Bill

Spybot Search and Destroy. You need to get rid of that.

It's great for your personal computer, but it completely locks down running processes, and doesn't like registery changes. I highly doubt it would be very compatible with RSLinx.

I had done a System Restore, but I am afraid that the Spybot Search and Destroy has its "arms" all within the registry and obviously did not uninstall completely.

Sorted issue out.

Finally got this resolved.

1. Went through the registry and deleted all instances of RSLinx.

2. Performed a system restore to a point before RSLinx was ever installed on the computer.

3. Installed RSLinx Classic 2.54 (had installed 2.53) previously.

Not sure what caused the problem here, but it was obvious that their Spybot software they installed messed things around.

Thanks again for everyone's help.