rslogix 500 multipoint and custom data monitor

david90

Which one do you use and when? It seems like multipoint can only monitor 1-bit memory location while custom data monitor can monitor both 1-bit and multi-bit memory locations. I wonder why AB has two types of data monitor file in rslogix 500.

Often in troubleshooting, only a 1-bit output is of concern, but in other cases you want to monitor an entire word, or 16-bit value such as an analog output. Different types of monitor are used for different purposes. One size or type does not always fit every purpose.

I use the CDM which can be customized with different radix.

I also use the CGMs a lot (RSLogix500 Professional) to mix and match and provide sort of a crude HMI right there on top of the ladder for monitoring things.

I have not used the Multi-point monitor at all, but after some reading, it looks pretty interesting:

RSLogix500 Help said:
The offline multipoint list is stored in the project file. It is not part of the processor image. The online multipoint list is stored in the processor’s memory and is, therefore, cleared whenever the processor’s memory is cleared.
When using the MicroLogix controller descriptions are always stored in the .RSS file. With the SLC 5/04 and SLC 5/05 controllers the descriptions are stored in the processor.

I may have to search the knowbase on this...to see if it has advantages over the CDM.