RSLogix 5000 doesn't recognize devices

Jcooli09

Hello again! Once again I'm stumped, hope someone can help again.

I have a project running RSLogix5000 ver 11.11. I'm using this version because the processor is pretty old. I have devices on my network, in this case it's a 1756-ENET/B, that it doesn't recognize.

RSLinx recognizes it and I used to be able to drill down to the processor and read it with the data monitor, but I installed a new EDS file and now it won't drill down.

I'm pretty confused about what's happening here, anyone have any ideas?

Did it used to work? Because you said "and now it won't drill down"

Also, what do you mean exactly by not recognize it. Are you trying to connect to a PLC that share the rack with the card? Or you mean you can't configure it in the IO tree in a project where it's a remote IO or PLC rack?

Did it used to work? Because you said "and now it won't drill down"

Also, what do you mean exactly by not recognize it. Are you trying to connect to a PLC that share the rack with the card? Or you mean you can't configure it in the IO tree in a project where it's a remote IO or PLC rack?

When I say drill down, I mean when you click on the plus sign to the left of the device in the tree, and it shows the modules. When I did this in RSLinx, it would show the processor and the other modules. Now when I click on the plus sign it stops browsing.

By unrecognized, I mean that in Linx it shows up as an icon and description, but in RSLogix 5000 it shows up as a yellow question mark labeled unrecognized device.

I walked away for a while and opened Logix to get a screen shot, and now it recognized the device and has an icon in place of the question mark, but the plus sign doesn't expand the tree so I can't touch the processor.

This is really frustrating.

Ok, I played with it offline a bit and realized something. 1756-ENET is a very very old card. When you added into the project IO tree, did you select the correct revision? /A vs /B? Can you at least see the backplane represented on the IO tree?

A screen shot would help.

ETA: Also, 5000 doesn't just "auto-discover" modules. You need to manually the modules to the remote rack (offline) then do a download.

See: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um051_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
Here's a screenshot of the who Active dialog in 5000. I know the card is old, it's been in place since 2002.

5000 ran on a single computer which recently gave up the ghost. I have a copy of the project saved from that old computer before it crapped out. I got the revision from that, and all the modules were already added.

I have a 1756-ENET/A on the list which is a different facility, it's a PLC5/40. When I try to access in Logix5 I can get there, which is to say that I can see the backplane and find the processor and get my project online.

ColumbusTerminalRev092414.jpg

maybe I'm not understanding your question - but you can NOT "drill down" through a PLC-5 system ... specifically, the older PLC-5 doesn't have that capability ... in simplest terms, you can see the processor itself in RSLinx - but you can NOT use RSLinx to "drill down" further and see its backplane - and you can NOT see its modules using RSLinx ...

I have a 1756-ENET/A on the list which is a different facility, it's a PLC5/40.

there's something radically wrong with that statement ... a 1756-ENET is an Ethernet module which would fit into a ControlLogix chassis (think: "paperweight size") ... a PLC-5/40 is a completely different animal ... it's much older - and much larger (think: "boat anchor size") ...

and incidentally - you'll need RSLogix5 (not RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000) in order to do the programming for a PLC-5 system ... (or even just to go online with it) ... it seems that you've got that part figured out ...

Last edited:
so version 11 of RSLogix5000, you will be on Win XP?

I also find that sometimes RSLinx does freeze, and will not let me expand. Usually a reboot works best in that situation. I have had it happening in WinXP and in Win7.

The 1756-ENET is an older card, but I still have a few of them, with the older Controllogix processors, but they work fine. We work with V11 upwards..
Hey, my many PLC5 systems work fantastically well, if the technicians on this site had their way, they would stick with PLC5, as they have not yet got to grips fully with ControlLogix!

It happened many times with me also. Rslinx detecting unrecognized device eventhough there is no any node on the network. Are you able to ping the particular unrecognized device. In my case i was not able to ping the device. ..

Pls check and update.

This is on a win 7 machine. I tried running in XP compatibility mode (SP3), and it allows me to drill down to the processor on the 1756-ENETA I have on a PLC5 at another facility, but not the ENETB I need to get to.

I've re-booted several times, and it hasn't worked yet.

I agree with them on PLC5, I've got a bunch and they are practically bullet proof. This particular facility was built in 2002, and they used Control Logix because it was the newest and shiniest. We've started to automate some of our older plants, and in these we're using Compact Logix, which isn't bad. The worst part is going back and forth between the two.

I can ping it, 'who active' finds it.

I just checked through Linx, and it's displaying as unrecognized in Linx, but Logix is recognizing it.

On RSLinx, can you right click the ENET and does it have the option to "upload EDS file from device" or is it too old for that option to be available?

It must be too old.

I downloaded an EDS file from Rockwell and installed it using the tool, after that the icon started displaying properly in 5000.