RSLogix 5000 Emergency Activation

Ok, latest explanation for the process for ordering Rockwell Software. The distributor places the order online into Rockwell Automation's system. Rockwell's Order's department then processes the order and sends it to a third party (Hewlett-Packard, I think) on the east coast to produce the CD. When the CD is produced, then and only then does the third party assign a serial number and product key to it.

It took about a week for the order to reach HP, and my distributor was able to the the serial number and product key for me.

He did give me a temporary serial number, which unlocked RSLogix5000 version 17 for me, and allowed me to use it for 7 days. Unfortunately, my controller's firmware was version 15.03 (which I couldn't find out until trying to connect with version 17). True, I could have flashed the controller, but this is on a used machine and I needed to upload the program from it first since we didn't receive a software copy of it when we purchased the machine at auction.

Version 15 does not allow the same 7 day grace period, so I was pretty much stuck until the paperwork got done. Frustrating, but now it's over.

Thanks for the help in the meantime. I hope this info helps someone avoid the headache in the future.