RSLogix 5000 Function Block use

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am talking to a Controllogix PLC with RSLogix 5000.
I need to do a PID block and want to use the PIDE function block for autotune capabilities.
How do I setup a function block sheet to enter the PIDE block? I cannot find out where to "build" it in RSLogix 5000 in my existing program.
Does it even exist in the "Controller Organizer"??
Do I call the function block sheet from the ladder logic?
How do I communicate between the Function block and the ladder logic, I assume this is done by the addresses I use on the PIDE block?

Go to the program you want your FBD under, right click, select "New Routine", and create is as Function Block Diagram.

You can use Controller scoped tags can be referenced anywhere, program scoped tags can be referenced from anywhere in the program you create the FBD in, including from other routines.

I generally use FBD's for scaling and some other special functions, you can put multiple sheets in one FBD routine, and even change the 'sheet size' (make them large).

You can call your FBD routine with a simple JSR from ladder.

Thanks a lot for the quick answers....this is a great forum.

I have "RSLogix 5000 Full edition", so FBD and PIDE should be supported.

Rick, thanks for the GREAT link....that was my next thought....how to get the PIDE up and running and what all the settings mean.

As I build this block, I notice an odd thing relating to the FBD when using Output/Input wire connectors.
If you rename the output wire connector, it does not automatically rename the associated input wire connectors. You have to go to each associated input wire connector and change the name......a major pain.

I use FBD with Honeywell HC900 logic and a really nice thing is if your edit the name of the output wire connector, it automatically takes care of rename all the associated input wire connectors.