RSLogix 5000 Min/Max/Avg Function Block

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a function block in RSLogix for calculating Min/Max/Avg of a group of analog inputs?
I have 12 thermocouple inputs that need this calculation.

There is an AVE for averaging. To find min and max you can compare the analog inputs by brute force or copy to an array and SRT the array. After the sort the min and max values will be at the ends of the array. If you have the FB extension then there is an ESEL FB that has min and max select options. You'll have to cascade ESEL to accomodate 12 values. ESEL can also average but only for six inputs. You might want to create your own AOI.

Last edited:
Yes...I have FB option.

I will look into the ESEL FB....thanks.

I sort of like FB...a whole lot of logic can be combined into 1 function.

I do Honeywell HC900 "Hybrid Control Designer" (HCD) programming quite a lot.
It calls its Logic Programming format "CCC" (Continuous Control Chart), just like Function Block programming. You can only program in function block, no "common" ladder logic programming possible.

It has an "MMA" function block that does Min/Max/Avg/SD (standard deviation).

Last edited:
Actually the "ESEL" FB is a "near" duplicate of the HC900 MMA FB......but..
The HC900 MMA block gives you Min/Max/Avg on 3 different pins. The "ESEL" has only ONE output pin and uses an input word to select the output type.

Last edited: