RSLogix 5000 Removable Media Explorer

tlf30

Lifetime Supporting Member
Well, I called RA support today to try and get the installer for RME, and to my surprise they claimed they no longer had the install files (I know this cannot possibly be true). The guy did do his best to actually help me though. He spent over an hour talking to his supervisor trying to see if there was a way to get the files for me.

I've reached out to my rep to see if he can get me the files, but as a PSA for everyone, RA is no longer giving out the RME installers.

I'm not familiar with this tool (though I am familiar with RA removing free useful tools because they duplicate expensive paid-for tools)
What is its purpose?

It allows for browsing the files on the CF cards for 1756-L6x controllers from Windows.
Useful since the only other way to get to the files is to remove the processor from the rack and pull the CF card.
The tool only supports Windows XP, and only older firmwares (I'm not exactly sure of the version cutoff). I do not believe v20+ are supported though.

If you have recipes or log files that are on the CF card, using the tool you can modify or download them while the controller is in the rack and running. The tool maps the CF card to Windows Explorer so you can interact with it like a normal file system.

Oh.. ok. I can see that being useful, so it fits into their workflow to remove it and providing an alternative that costs big bucks (Asset Center).
Thanks

Ah Deadhorse, AK. That brings back memories!!

Just as a note from my time with A-B/RA. Occasionally field engineers develop tools that prove useful enough that they get distributed publicly. Other times, they keep these tools in-house only. These are often tools that RA got essentially for "free". The developer saw a need and created the tool, usually on their own time because it benefitted them.

When those tools reach a point where they need to be updated to work with a newer O/S, there is a cost associated with updating a tool like that. And often, the developer has moved on to a new position or quit/retired. A tool that worked in XP probably needed to be updated to work with a more modern O/S. Some internal group within RA would have to pay to have that tool updated, knowing that there is no possibility of recouping that cost. It is easier for them to just obsolete the tool rather than shell out money that they can't earn back. Bean counting 101.

In other instances, a tool may be something they had developed for them by an outside company and that company does not want to (or cannot) update the tool. So it isn't always their decision. Developing their own version might become a patent issue.

On the other hand...if they can find a way to charge you for a new product or tool, instead of something that used to be free, I think most companies would do so.

OG

Ah Deadhorse, AK. That brings back memories!!

Have you worked up here? I'm stationed out of PBOC but support both EOA and WOA.

Yeah, I don't really need a newer version of the tool, for my use cause the old Windows XP version would be fine. We have some data that gets logged to the CF card, and an operator removes the processor from the rack, takes out the CF card, gets the text file from the card, then puts it back in the rack. I would like to stop this practice and get the text file directly to the operator without removing the processor from the rack.

On the other hand...if they can find a way to charge you for a new product or tool, instead of something that used to be free, I think most companies would do so_OG

Fair, but then produce the tool, not a suite of loosely related tools that then price it outside the realm of mortals. Sometime we just need Ping and not a suite of various communication protocols.

Have you worked up here? I'm stationed out of PBOC but support both EOA and WOA.

I went back through our tools here, but I don't see where we had it saved on our server.

I was on a project at PS1 for Alyeska. Only there a short time, but of course it was December or January. Never saw cold like that before or since :) Only time I've ever seen a satellite dish pointed parallel to the ground instead of up.

OG

Last edited:
I was on a project at PS1 for Alyeska. Only there a short time, but of course it was December or January. Never saw cold like that before or since Only time I've ever seen a satellite dish pointed parallel to the ground instead of up.

OG

I've only been in PS1 once, to track down some old phone modem connected PLC comms that run back to our other plants. Not much going on over there these days, they just keep a skeleton crew there and keep the place running.

I have to admit, that sounds cool and I want to know how it works... I'm going to ask around...

There may or may not be a Rockwell CIP object for the storage file system.

It may or may not include the ability to create, delete, open, and close files.

It also may or may not include the ability to list and build directories.

:nodi:

There may or may not be a Rockwell CIP object for the card file system.

It may or may not include the ability to create, delete, open, and close files.

It also may or may not include the ability to list and build directories.

:nodi:

If I'm remembering correctly, you can peep those in the read/write CF sample