Rslogix 5000 Tag invalid

nmk34

I want to ask about this tag that is in RSLogix 5000:

datatype: AB:powerFlex525V_EENET_Drive:I:0

and I want to create a new tag(instance of this tagtype) like this:
conv_VFD:I
of the above datatype.
I get invalid tag name?

I see exact tag name in a different PLC program and it shows as the needed tag above. I know it is not a valid tag name with the colons :)), but is there a way to make rslogix 5000 accept it?

That is a module defined data type. Tags will be created when you add a drive to the I/O tree. You would name the drive conv_VFD when creating it in the tree or you could rename a previously added drive while working offline.

The tag name is invalid because it has a colon ( : ) in it. Other things you can't do with a tag name include:
- Start with a number
- Include spaces or special characters
- Exceed a certain number of characters

...but in any case, as 5618 has said above, you shouldn't create those tags manually; they're created automatically when you add the relevant module to your configuration - in this case, when you add a Powerflex 525 via Embedded Ethernet to your Ethernet tree. I can see a case where you might want to create such a data structure to copy the data from the automatically-created tag into a local tag - and if you really want to, you can, you'll just have to call the tag something valid like conv_VFD_I instead of conv_VFD:I. But in all my years of working with Powerflex 525's I've never found a need to do so.

The attached image has a rung, that i need to duplicate or copy from one machine program to another identical machine. I was wondering how the tag in the rung has a colon?

rung.JPG

As was mentioned before, that's a module-defined tag. To copy that rung over to another program, you would need the same drive with the same name (Conv_VFD) in the other program's IO tree.

You can't manually create a tag of that datatype, but you can create an alias that resides within the same controller.

Does the PLC you're copying the rung to have a drive with the same name?

ModuleDefinedTag.JPG

yes, identical program with exception the other program has an extra logic for a cylinder, but the drive all identical.

That program has a drive in the IO tree named Conv_VFD. If you can’t duplicate corresponding logic to another machine, that machine doesn’t have the same drive with the same name. Look in the IO configuration of each machine. You might have to expand something called A1,Ethernet or something similar. In one machine you will see the drive PowerFlex 525-EENET Conv_VFD. The other machine apparently doesn’t have it or it has a different name.

Yes there is a drive called Conv_VFD in the IO tree. I can copy the instruction, but can not create a new tag for this rung with the colon. I will create the tag as Conv_VFD.

Thanks

If driver named conv_VFD exists in the destination PLC, you will find the tag conv_VFD:I in the tag table. You don't need to create it and you can't create it either. In the GRT instruction, click that down arrow beside source A, type in conv_VFD, you will find what you need.