RSLogix 5000 v17 to v15

Krilun

Hey all,

I wrote some ladder logic in RSLogix 5000 v15 on a laptop. I recently got a new laptop and downloaded v17 and now I can't open that code. Without downloading v15, is there a conversion available to bring v15 up to v17?

I have a lot of other code on PLCs on RSLogix5000 v13 and below. Conversion would be really helpful. Any suggestions would help.

If you can save the files as .L5K you can import the software into 17 however any devices not supported between versions will cause your import to not work correctly. My solution is that I have a CD with every rev from 10 - current and when I upgrade laptops I install all versions. I even have version 7 installed as I have a few clients that are using that.

Get a CD or download all the versions. I am running v8, v10, v12, v13, v15, v16, v17 all on my one XP box because I work on controllers that are old enough to have "Marketing Demo / Not For Sale" on them.

It's easy to load all the versions of ControlLogix, and you need them.

I agree with Ken.

I have v10, 11, 12, 13, 15, and 16 all on one XP laptop. Some customers require that we use older versions because it is what they have avaliable.

If all you want to do is open it, then open it. RSLogix 5000 will tell you you don't have that version and prompt you to change it to the newer version on your laptop. No conversion is necessary.

OG

Get a CD or download all the versions. I am running v8, v10, v12, v13, v15, v16, v17 all on my one XP box because I work on controllers that are old enough to have "Marketing Demo / Not For Sale" on them.

Well Ken nice to know you work for A-B, unfortunatly we don't have your XP boxes and I beg to differ, you don't have 7 different versions running on the same "XP BOX".
OH!, thats right,, you work for A-B!

Last edited:
Well Ken nice to know you work for A-B, unfortunatly we don't have your XP boxes and I beg to differ, you don't have 7 different versions running on the same "XP BOX".

Such bitterness. Of course you can have all versions at one time. As far as I know, the only stipulation, is you can only have ONE PRE-V10 version loaded at a time. From 10 and up, you can have them all loaded. And prior versions are included on the install CD's. I've got 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, and 17 on this XP SP3 box, no problems.

Oh, and I do NOT work for AB.

Open mouth, insert foot.....

Of course you can have all versions running on the same PC.

You should probably do your research before making such a bold statement.RSLogix.jpg

Wow, such snarkiness! It might have been overlooked if you actually had a valid point.

OG

Someone urinated in Bitmore's Wheaties yesterday. He got snippy with Eric Nelson in this thread, too.

Granted, I have never opened five or six copies of Logix5K editting five different verison of plc program. But I have done it with three at one time. It's an easy way to transport code snippets. I don't see that there would be a reasonable limit to the number you can open.

Keith