RSLogix 5000 Watch Window

rocket

Hi all

I have been programming in Siemens Step 7 for several years but am now also using RSLogix 5000 (v17). And no - I'm most definitely not wanting to start a "which is better" debate!

The one thing that really drives me crazy with RSLogix though is the apparent lack of an equivalent feature to Siemens' "Variable Table". Am I missing something or is the ONLY way to monitor multiple tags from different programs to use the optional Tag Data Monitor tool in conjunction with RSLinx Classic (not lite) or Enterprise?

Thanks

Yes but it's not at all the same.
1) You can't save pre-defined/custom watch windows
2) You can't undock it and resize
3) You can't open multiple watch windows

Correct you cannot save your settings.
The window can be moved and resized.
Correct you cannot open multiple watch windows.

All of those features are part of the RSLogix5 and RSLogix 500 but have been neutered in RSLogix 5000.

Word is that the next rev (v18) will allow you to save a watch window but we still probably cannot get multiple windows.

So, not great answers......
OG

Oops - missed that part. That is what happens when you try to do forty things at once. It is too bad they didn't include the Custom Data Monitor as they did in Logix 500. You need the purchased RSLinx to use any other program as well (HMI software or Excel) so there really isn't any good alternatives unless he just wants to use the trends - which can be saved.

Not really hidden...Right where it says "Enter Quick Watch List Name" type a name and hit enter. That's it. It will then be available under the Quick Watch drop down menu

OG

Watch.JPG

Wow, that text is almost completely invisible on my screen. I had to tilt my screen at an abnormal angle to read it. Thanks for the tip.

Any idea where this information is stored? I don't suppose it's available as an externally editable text or CSV file?