RSLogix architect? Do I want or need it?

ABnewb

I've been in communication with our Rockwell distributor regarding which software package is going to be best suited for me (RSLogix pro edition or full edition). He isn't very forthcoming with information, so I wanted to ask the forum:

It seems that the pro version only has a few items the full edition does not.
(1) rslogix 5000 emulator---I don't want it.

(2) rsnetworx for devicenet, controlnet, etc.---We just use Ethernet to communicate to our controllers, so I'm considering this to be "fluff" or do I want it?

(3)rslogix 5000 architect---Hmm. The information I've read on this isn't very clear. Do I want or need this? We manufacture equipment for the oil industry and we program the controllers for said equipment relatively similarly. What is the advantage of using architect and is it worth the extra $2+K it will cost? Do I want or need this?

the must have feature for me in the pro version is function block, although function block is pretty awkward in allen bradley land and may not be the best way to solve whatever your problem is

The emulator was a let down, I ended up buying the PLC CPU earlier than I normally I would and just using that to test logic as I programmed.

With the new version you need pro for ControlLogix series, CompactLogix is included with both. We got burned this year when we renewed without pro.

the must have feature for me in the pro version is function block, although function block is pretty awkward in allen bradley land and may not be the best way to solve whatever your problem is

The emulator was a let down, I ended up buying the PLC CPU earlier than I normally I would and just using that to test logic as I programmed.

It looked as though the full edition also had function block capability.

Sounds like Full will fit your needs.

You've already said Emulator isn't something you need, RSNeworks would only be needed if you were using DeviceNet/ControlNet.

RS Logix Architect, I'd say that has been pretty much replaced with IAB (Integrated Architecture Builder) so you can skip that one too. IAB might be a free download?

Yes, I think IAB is free. they give out cd at seminar.
What sis the price diff between pro vs full?
Sounded like you already leaning toward the full version.
But what if in the future, your @sh% finance controller decided to by an old machine with device net?