RSLogix Buffers question! NEED HELP

Dera bsee

Hi all,

Thank you for viewing my post. I'm modifying a system and added logic to it with the RsLogix 5K. I'm doing CIP routines and have my timing set points going from the HMI to the plc to a buffer. My problem is that it's being copied and moved into a buffer but can't find where it's going to in the PLC as in I can't find the same tag to control the timers. My question is this... Can you copy, move, or indirectly bind the values without doing so in the ladder logic portion or in any routine at all? I know it's a bit confusing but this program is rather complex. I included two images, one is the data being copied into a buffer and the other is of the program tags. I can't find where this values are going or what their driving. I know their function and so forth but don't know how they're doing it. Again, can you bind values indirectly and if so, how is that possible... need help, thanks everyone shoot:

cip buffer.jpg cip buffer 2.jpg

First, be sure to define your terminology. I think you mean "CIP" as "Clean In Place", and you're referring to array Tags being used to manage data as "buffers" because that's the function they perform in the control program.

In the ControlLogix world, "CIP" is also "Control and Information Protocol" and a "CIP buffer" might be part of the network data handling firmware of the controller.

What I see is that your program is moving 50 floating-point values from the CIP1_Data_12[x] array into the first 50 elements of the CIP1_Run_Buffer[x] array.

It's also moving 20 floating-point values from the CIP1_STPTS[x] array into elements 50 through 69 of the same CIP1_Run_Buffer[x] array.

Is your question: "where are CIP1_Run_Buffer[x] elements used in my program " ?

The first place to look is the Cross Reference report for the tag CIP1_Run_Buffer.

Yes, I'm sorry you're right.

I have looked for the elements in all my programs and can't find the elements in any of the logic. I did do a cross reference and nothing came up.
The first 11 elements in the array are used to set the timing of the CIP (clean in place)
I'm adding two new CIP (clean in place) circuits to our system. But I can't figure out how they're are moving the CIP_RUN_BUFFER[x] into the timers since when I do a cross reference and Find All, nothing comes up. But I know for a fact the set points in the first 11 elements are timing values and can't find where the data goes. They're in the program scope and base tags, so I know it's not a producing tags sending the data somewhere else nor is there any other tags that have that tag name as an alias tag. I apologize if it's a bit confusing, I'm confused myself. :confused: 🔨

cip buffer 3.jpg cip buffer 4.jpg