RsLogix Comm. PROBLEM!

traveltyme

Help!!
I have a good one for somebody, I cannot get comms above 9,600 bd. Using 5/04 and rslix Classic. Had no problem until recently! If I config. faster than 9,600, Rswho cant find node 1. If I do AUTO cofig driver, it defaults to 1200 baud! I tried re-loading RS linx, and no help. I did have comms at `19200 until I created new program file ( same setup/ config) and tried downloading and got com. Error. Went back to my Working program file and THAT faulted at 19200! But now this will run / com at 9600. What in blazes Is going on????

You downloaded a new program file with a different comm setting.

You said you use Auto Config and it detects at 1200 baud, that means the comm port on the 5/04 is set to 1200.

While online, (using the 1200 baud auto config) upload the settings, then change the Channel Configuration to 19200. Applying the changes will cause you to lose comms to the PLC until you change your RSLinx configuration to match the new settings.

RSLinx doesn't determine the baud rate settings, the configuration in the PLC does. RSLinx just steps through the different baud rates until it finds one that matches (or you manually set it).

Worked like a charm! Pretty "nutty" stuff"! So I have to download the baud rate settings WITH the program file? Guess I had been doing this without realizing what I was doing! I still kinda new at this, been teaching myself for a while, Thanks so much!

The channel configuration is part of the offline file. But it is not something that has to be downloaded. When you download your project, it will ask you at the end if you want to apply the new channel configuration settings. Choosing Apply will change the PLC configuration to match your project. Cancel (think it says cancel) will keep the current PLC configuration and ignore the configuration in your project.

The best thing to do is to document the channel configurations on all com ports of your PLC so you can always change them back to what they should be in case of an accident. Then if it asks you if you want to apply the channel configuration and you are not sure, you can always check the project against what the PLC should be.